Guineas and bobcats

I’ve also lost several guineas to bobcats. Two in the pen, before we realized it was a bobcat issue, now my whole pen is covered in plywood and chicken wire so he can’t get his paws in.

The third was to a bobcat in broad daylight. I mean, 12:20 PM, he just came right out of the woods and grabbed my little lavender. We’ve seen it a couple times and the thing is NOT scared of us. My mom literally put herself between the guineas and the bobcat, she was less than 5 feet away from it and it wasn’t scared. I don’t want to kill it, but I have a 3 year old and since it’s not afraid of us, I want it dead for her safety.

They typically don’t hunt during the day, we’ve only seen it once during the day, but this one started coming in the morning when he knew we’d let the birds out.

I have no advice, keep your pen secure and hope for the best. I have 5 guineas left and just added 11 chickens, hopefully the bobcat stays away.
Wow, your daytime bobcat sounds very scary! Our bobcat is secretive and afraid of us, but clearly active in the day/afternoon. The purpose for having guineas is for them to eat ticks, which they can’t do in a pen... I plan to leave them in the run until next Tuesday (10 days total), then they will need to go back out, even if we haven’t caught the bobcat...

Wow, your daytime bobcat sounds very scary! Our bobcat is secretive and afraid of us, but clearly active in the day/afternoon. The purpose for having guineas is for them to eat ticks, which they can’t do in a pen... I plan to leave them in the run until next Tuesday (10 days total), then they will need to go back out, even if we haven’t caught the bobcat...

Very scary indeed. Yes, that’s our guineas purpose as well, so I completely understand.
I’d say the first day, if possible, be there to keep an eye on them. It may be enough time that your bobcat thinks he’s easy food source is gone, but they make so much noise, it won’t take long for him to figure it out.

Any predator animal like a bobcat , coyote,fox or anything else that looses it fear of humans needs to be dead. It is not natural and something is out of sync in their minds. And Mixed, my routine after I let my guineas out which is around noon is take a quick four wheeler ride, maybe 3 or 4 minutes( if time permits) with maybe my S&W.40 and shoot a few stumps or some cheap firecrackers( the really little ones in a pack of 16) and set them off. It's more to make me feel good but any animal worth there salt to stay alive shouldn't be hanging around. Not that it lasts for the whole day esp now when they are out until 9ish but most of the time except in Unicorn's experience animals will shy away. Every little bit helps and it would be a shame to not have these amazing tick eaters over the fate of a bobcat.

Any predator animal like a bobcat , coyote,fox or anything else that looses it fear of humans needs to be dead. It is not natural and something is out of sync in their minds. And Mixed, my routine after I let my guineas out which is around noon is take a quick four wheeler ride, maybe 3 or 4 minutes( if time permits) with maybe my S&W.40 and shoot a few stumps or some cheap firecrackers( the really little ones in a pack of 16) and set them off. It's more to make me feel good but any animal worth there salt to stay alive shouldn't be hanging around. Not that it lasts for the whole day esp now when they are out until 9ish but most of the time except in Unicorn's experience animals will shy away. Every little bit helps and it would be a shame to not have these amazing tick eaters over the fate of a bobcat.
Thanks. I reset the trap and instead of bait put a pile of guineas feathers inside (from my girl, Mouse, who was taken) with more feathers dangling on wires. It’s not much of a eulogy, but here’s a photo of beautiful, funny, sweet Mouse, who was a loner, often far away from the flock, and who loved our bachelor roosters, even letting one routinely mate with her. We found her feather pile right next to the rooster coop; she must have been visiting them when she was ambushed.

Attachments

• EEB30B4A-5A9B-4A6E-BC06-3237DACEC67D.jpeg
    EEB30B4A-5A9B-4A6E-BC06-3237DACEC67D.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 24
Thanks. I reset the trap and instead of bait put a pile of guineas feathers inside (from my girl, Mouse, who was taken) with more feathers dangling on wires. It’s not much of a eulogy, but here’s a photo of beautiful, funny, sweet Mouse, who was a loner, often far away from the flock, and who loved our bachelor roosters, even letting one routinely mate with her. We found her feather pile right next to the rooster coop; she must have been visiting them when she was ambushed.

I am so sorry about your sweet mouse. I lost my favorite angry male (Maui, my daughter was obsessed with Moana at the point so they were all Moana characters hehe)

I agree @Southwind - I literally stood 3 feet away from it and it didn’t even blink UNTIL I pulled my gun up to shoot and it immediately ran off. I clipped his backend but never found it dead, but we have 40 acres and my neighbor has 600 so he could have been anywhere. We shoot everytime we see it but it always manages to get away or it’s used all its 9 lives and the next shot will finally take it out.

Wow, yes, I would really be spooked by a wild animal like a bobcat that let me get 3 feet away! Either it is really hungry with kits to feed, or - rabies, yikes!!!!

My friends that know I have chickens for tick control always tell me to "get guineas and just let them run loose on your property," and I don't say anything at all ... because I would never have birds and not provide them shelter from the elements or protection from predators! I don't know what people are thinking ... I guess they think they are wild birds that can just fend for themselves year round???? That's just nuts!

Ya know BigBlue, Guineas are half wild, and though there daytime travels are fraught with danger it is so worth it for their company and hard work at not only ticks but mice control, cluster fly control and as a general alarm. I try to keep them as save as possible at night but as witnessed by this picture from my trail cam from last night I have to start planning for bigger predator control for my bigger/ better coop this summer. It's always something!

Attachments

• IMAG2785.JPG
    IMAG2785.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 25
Ya know BigBlue, Guineas are half wild, and though there daytime travels are fraught with danger it is so worth it for their company and hard work at not only ticks but mice control, cluster fly control and as a general alarm. I try to keep them as save as possible at night but as witnessed by this picture from my trail cam from last night I have to start planning for bigger predator control for my bigger/ better coop this summer. It's always something!
OMG, is that a BEAR??? It looks like a werewolf!

Back
Top Bottom