guineas and pools

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Finn's Mom, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Has anyone had any issues with their guineas falling in their pools or do they hopefully know to stay away?

2. Finn's Mom

So they aren't going to look at my pool and turn into a floating pool decoration?

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    It might or might not be a problem. One of my Guineas was being chased by another, it ended up in the pond. Luckily one of my dogs saw it and retrieved it before it drowned.

4. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I live on a lake, and one day I was trying to catch all my guineas and put them in there pen and one flew into the lake and started swimming, so I think they'll be fine.

5. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Maybe you can put some sort of ladder on the side so in case they do fall in they will have something to grab onto with thier feet and climb out. They make some sort of expanded metal ones for stock tanks.

6. Finn's Mom

Ok! Thanks for the feedback. My labrador retriever doesn't swim or retrieve . . . [​IMG] so a ladder or pet ramp? would be my best bet.

7. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Not necessarily. When a Guinea panics its all over. Any sense they have goes in to hibernation and the desire to survive removes any ability to recognize the ramp or ladder for what it is.

8. VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    Portland Metro Area, OR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by