Guinea's are not what they're cracked up to be.

red46

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
While living in rural OK, and running over 200 chickens and 3 turkeys, I bought 3 guinea's simply because people told me they were such great watch dogs. That was my only reason for having those noisy things.

When it came to roosters, I had too many and decided to let nature take its course. They battled. I allowed the 'top dog' win his way to the top.

It finally came down to 2, constantly challenging each other and not yet a complete determination as to who was the big man.

Now this probably wouldn't have taken so long, had it not been for that stupid Guinea Roo, who just kept getting in the mix. Every now and then, I'd look out to see what the fuss was, to witness one rooster, hanging onto the tail of the other, chasing all over the farm yard. Guess who was on the tail end of the whiplash. Mr. Guinea and screaming all the way. Mr. Boss had a strong hold on the tail of Mr. Runner Up and Mr Guinea had a lock down on the tail of Mr. Boss. I was getting closer to having Guinea for dinner.

But.....Mr. Guinea was the only roo for my two Guinea hens. Sigh....

Guinea's don't like being cooped up at night. Neither do turkey's. Where we lived, we had coyote's, racoons, skunks and snakes to ward off. I insisted they all go inside at night.

You can imagine the nightly fight. I tried everything. I yelled at them, tried to knock them off the top of the henhouse, sprayed them with water, even climbed up and grabbed them one by one. Hardly a way for me to wind down in the evening.

When they were young, I won the fight but then they got bigger and bossier and I soon had to give up. So each night, there was a row of birds, along the top edge of the roof. Tom turkey (the girls didn't mind going in) and 3 guinea's.

One morning, I went out to release the jailbirds, and noted there was a gap in the middle of the guinea's. One of my girls, was missing. Here were these 2 supposedly great watch dogs, and one of the 3 was missing. I finally found her feathers, out in the field. Don't you know, I lectured 2 birds, that had no idea what my problem was.

So you tell me. Watch dogs? 3 birds, side by side and one of them got snatched right out of the middle. To this day, I won't have a guinea. Watch dogs, my ***.

judy

If I were to get any it would be for ticks!

I have 4 dogs to keep watch
wink.png

I had a flock of turkies as a kid and they were kept in the 2nd story of our barn. Each morning we'd open the barn door and they'd fly down from the loft...and each evening as light grew dim they'd head into the barn and march right up the staircase to their loft for the night. I think ours were pretty smart creatures.

we never had guineas but our neighbors did. Guineas do like to wander as they prefer to nest on the ground..also they're main diet relys well on foraging insects and don't require as much feed as chickens so if bugs are abundant their is really no need to go 'home' for the night as a chicken would to roost/nest high, or lay eggs high in a nest box, eat feed......

as far as the extra roo....save yorself alot of hassle and just advertise him as free! (also you wont get fined for 'cock fighting!') LOL

cheers,
e

yeah.. I agree.. put your extra roos on craigslist someone will gladly take them

however. Guineas are awesome to eat ticks and snakes.. not so much, Watch-Dogs.. You were Mislead on that lol

My male guinea killed 2 of my roos before I banned him from the coop. I wouldn't care if something happened to him. I will never have guineas again after these 5 are gone....

I always hear guinnes for ticks and GEESE for watch dogs....

I am not a very tall person(5'2) and I have been chased by these giant, angry, hissing, flapping, biting birds!

SCAREY!!! I would say as scarey as any ole' German shephard!

LOL

I myself have a pitbull...she's afraid of the chickens (even chicks) but wards off strange people REAL quick (just because she is what she is!)

Last edited:
I can't wait to move to the country so we can have guineas...I wanted some for a while now!

I would liek a turkey too, as a pet...but just one- a Tom. I liek how they gobble and 'puff up' the ones I had as a kid were so friendly...

BUT I am lazy when it comes to 'work' and I am picky about things being clean and the bigger the bird the more they poop...the more they poop, the more it smells the more it smells the less i want to do the chore! LOL

lol.png

(GEESE will NOT be on my list of poultry to someday get...nor will ducks
tongue.png
) thats why I go to fairs...to get my critter fix...then I get to go home and be happy I got to see them/pet them but I dont have to clean um'
big_smile.png

e

I had guineas years ago and they do make a rukus but the problem I had with them is they seemed to cry wolf too often.
They would scream bloody murder and I would go running out and if I saw a large moth or a mole I considered myself lucky to have found the source of such panic.

They were good eating though
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom