Guineas being predjiduce

Chicken Casanova

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Hey i had a major attack on my silkie flock and i have two turckeys two black silkies one white silkies and two guineas but the guineas are attacking my white silkie and so i through them out of the run do you think it was the right desicion

I have been told many times that Guinea's RULE - I think this means that they are the top of the pecking order. Was your white Silky getting a bit close to them or did they just decide to gang up on her?
I have 5 French Guinea's and I can tell you that they are strong willed birds. I have been told that you should keep an eye on them around new birds and separate them if they really try to hurt another bird. But if I understand correctly it is a pecking order thing.
You may want to check with the Guinea Fowl Breeders Assoc. (http://www.gfba.org/) they have lots of information about Guinea's and their behaviors.
Hope this helps.
I just put three six week old production red chicks (in a cage) in the coop with my 5 guineas - so far all is well and the guineas are not screaming at them - they seem to notice that they are there but, as I said, I have not let the chicks out of their cage in the coop yet. we will see what happens later this or next week.
Do you feed your guineas chicken feed? I feed mine turkey grower, but now that I am adding the chickens I am not sure if I need to ahve two types of food available or if the chicks can eat the Turkey grower also - do you have any suggestions?

I think it has something to do with the weather.....my 2 were fine till the weather got hot they went nuts they were attacking my rooster and a cpl hens so I threw them out and they haven't even tried to get back in since so I'm sure when wither comes they will be wanting back in for sure...

You should always have 10 guineas or more. Less then this and they will fight with other birds in the flock. My ducks are top in the pecking order, but then the guineas are too busy with each other they leave all the other birds alone.

tomingreeneco: You should always have 10 guineas or more.

Yes & we Guinea owners cannot emphasize this fact enough. I have 14 and am going to add more so I can have flock of 25-30. I have keets growing now to add. I will not sell keets to anyone unless they take at least 10 & I tell them if they have chickens, then do not add Guineas unless at least 10. My Guineas roost part with my chickens but as it has gotten awfully hot & humid, part are roosting in the trees by the coop and shed top. Although they are bossy over the chickens, they do not routinely attack and fight the chickens and are pretty peaceful (the Guineas primarily fight amongst themselves sometimes). My Geese are the rulers; everything knows to stay out of their way and thank goodness & for whatever reason, the Geese stay out of the chicken coops.​

Back
Top Bottom