Guineas chasing new chickens

fancy bloomers

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
I am having problems introducing new pullets to my flock. They are free range during the day and get cooped up at night. I purchased five new pullets and my guineas do not want to accept them. The guineas do not roost with the chickens. They will chase a new one and gang up on it and try to beat it up.

Has anyone had this type of experience? They were raised with the current chickens I have, all from day old. I hate to keep them penned up forever.

My grandad had the same problem with his guineas and a turkey. The guineas pulled the turkey's feathers... would hang on to his wing and get dragged all over the pen. He finally just gave up and sold the turkey.

Do you think they will get used to them through the wire of the pen? I can only hope.
sad.png

Guineas do not act remotely like chickens. They tend to be gang-like in their behavior and I doubt things will change. It's why I rehomed my very tame guineas in favor of my poor beat-up chickens (only the RIRs and my BR rooster were attacked).

How distressing. I love my guineas too. They are so comical. Taccepted the Buffs over the Speckled Sussex when they were little which is why I bought more buffs. I thought they might accept the color. They even followed one of my barn cats around that was colored like the buffs.

If I have to, I will rehome my guineas but I'll give it some time so see if they get used to them through the pen.

Thanks for the info.

Ah sorry, I did have the same thing happen with guineas beating up my chickens pretty bad, and like yours they were raised together....... I had to finally give them up
sad.png
.... that was a few years ago, I am trying again though........ hoping for different results. I too let all my birds free range....I just may have to keep them in a separate coop.....I have an old one I can use thank goodness, that is unless they attack the rabbits in there now
barnie.gif

i just bought 4 new hens day before yesterday. my guineas go after all my chickens but they are going after these the most.

Last edited:
I had no idea - guess I'm lucky. If anything my situation is just the opposite. The chickens will run the guineas around a bit occasionally. My chickens are probably twice as big as the guineas so maybe that's why. They are cooped separately but all free range in the same area. The guineas are still fairly young, hopefully things won't change for the worse as they fully mature!

For some reason the guineas didn't like the darker colored chicks they grew up with and harrassed them a lot. The Sussex grew up and now they don't bother them They do their faint attack and then run off.

The pullets I just bought are about three months old so I guess I'll see what happens when they are bigger.

I had chickens and guineas at my place in Texas and I didn't have this problem, but the guineas were less tame.

These guineas follow me everywhere when I'm outside. I just think they are so neat and silly!
tongue.png
But I love my peeps too.

Back
Top Bottom