1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Guineas help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tim sommers, Oct 17, 2016.

1. tim sommers

tim sommers Just Hatched

Oct 17, 2016
    Hi I am new to all this but I purchased 15 keets 12 weeks ago and had my step daughter watch the at 7 weeks old while we were out of town for a week. When I returned I only had 7. I am now down to four. The 4 come home every night at the same time and leave about 6:30 every morning. Did my lost guineas get eaten?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, tim sommers, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community but sorry it is under these circumstances. [​IMG] Of all the backyard fowl, guineas may be the best suited to unsupervised free range...they are wary and travel together, constantly communicating any sign of anything abnormal in their environment. But if had to lay down a bet, I'd say yes, that they got snatched by a predator. Guineas seem to be very "flock-brained" and travel in a pack. And at 7 weeks they haven't accumulated a lot of smarts yet and might walk right into danger. I cooped mine and didn't let them range until they were about 8 weeks old. Not sure of that is why they stick close to home or if I'm just lucky. Sorry for your loss! Here's the Guinea Fowl thread if you'd like to post there. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/45/guinea-fowl

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! So glad you joined us, and I hope you make yourself at home here!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry for your loss Tim. Redsoxs has given you the link for guineas. [​IMG]

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. @redsox has given you some good advice and links. I hope that things improve for you.

Best wishes
    CT

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by