Guineas in Texas?

Langlow

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 17, 2012
I have never had guineas before now but they are the funniest things ever. I want to get some more in the spring but we will see..

On to my question my "flock" of 6 are about 8 months old. They free range on our 6 acres and sometimes on the neighbors property too. I have observed them mating, is it possible that the girls are laying already? If so are nests easily spotted?

Any help or insight would be great!

I live in southeast Texas and mine are not laying yet but are starting to hang around the fence rows so it will not be long before they start.

The nest are not easy to spot but if you watch them they will show you you just have to see where the males hang out as they keep a watch out while the hens lay and will run away from the nest when you approach to lure you away from the nest.

Last edited:
Oh the joys of hours wasted searching for guinea nests! If you are around a lot during the day, watch them and see where they are going! I was lucky enough to have a nest under my high back deck last year, I could look down on the hen who decided to sit on the eggs all day long, counting down the days until they hatched out!

Thanks for the quick responses!

I live in College Station so it sounds like we may be in the same area. I live in a raised house and I have seen them under there quite a bit. I may need to go spelunking under the house sometime soon.

Thanks for the quick responses!

I live in College Station so it sounds like we may be in the same area. I live in a raised house and I have seen them under there quite a bit. I may need to go spelunking under the house sometime soon.

You are about 200 miles north of me so yours may lay a bit sooner than mine.
I have 100's of guineas and never had a nest under the house but then there is alot of trafic under there LOL.
I build brush piles and my guineas ,chickens ducks and geese lay in them togeather even sit on a nest together many times, talk about a stagered hatch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom