Guineas in time out

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:
Awwhh! Good to know. I love my sweet Australorps though. They have not even slowed down laying in this aboslutely ridiculous heat in Texas. Supposed to be 105 again today! I am so proud of my girls.

Mine are only around 3 1/2 months old. I found an ad on CL, a lady had a large flock of BA's and was selling hatching eggs for $6.00 a dozen. So I bought two dozen hatching eggs, and hatched out 11/24. The 8 remaining chicks have such a good temperment, most of the time!
wink.png
If they want food from you they will star attacking your feet!!
lau.gif

Do you have any pictures of yours, and the eggs they lay?

~ Aspen
caf.gif

I do actually but I have no idea how to upload them. Do you know where I can find instructions? Most of mine are on Facebook. They do produce a very nice medium size brown egg, they will be small to start. I was also surprised that pretty much all of them have this irredescent green sheen to their feathers. I thought it might be the roos only but the hens pretty much all have it. It is beautiful when the sun hits it just right.

Quote:
Mine are only around 3 1/2 months old. I found an ad on CL, a lady had a large flock of BA's and was selling hatching eggs for $6.00 a dozen. So I bought two dozen hatching eggs, and hatched out 11/24. The 8 remaining chicks have such a good temperment, most of the time!
wink.png
lau.gif

~ Aspen
caf.gif

I do actually but I have no idea how to upload them. Do you know where I can find instructions? Most of mine are on Facebook. They do produce a very nice medium size brown egg, they will be small to start. I was also surprised that pretty much all of them have this irredescent green sheen to their feathers. I thought it might be the roos only but the hens pretty much all have it. It is beautiful when the sun hits it just right.

Oh and mine catch my feet too every once in a while. They like my red sandals. I stomp my feet at them. That usually does it. My neighbors think I am crazy!

Quote:

Oh and mine catch my feet too every once in a while. They like my red sandals. I stomp my feet at them. That usually does it. My neighbors think I am crazy!

lau.gif
Most of my neighbors call me "The Crazy Chicken Lady" !!!
lau.gif
gig.gif

~ Aspen
caf.gif

Quote:
wink.png
lau.gif

~ Aspen
caf.gif

Go the the FAQs section, it will tell you how to Upload pictures to BYC.
smile.png

I know!
love.gif
Even my young'ns already have the green sheen to their feathers!
love.gif

~ Aspen
caf.gif

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:

lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

~ Aspen
caf.gif

Yep kind of wondered what they were thinking when I was out there spraying the stealth guineas with the water hose. I would wait until they attacked someone then hose them down and yell at them.
lol.png

Quote:
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

~ Aspen
caf.gif

Yep kind of wondered what they were thinking when I was out there spraying the stealth guineas with the water hose. I would wait until they attacked someone then hose them down and yell at them.
lol.png

lau.gif
That's what I do with my grown guineas!!
big_smile.png

~ Aspen
caf.gif

My guineas are about to head to the freezer because I can't control them, either. They peck and harass my chickens to the point that they won't come out from under their coop in the mornings until the guineas are out of the pen. I have to feed the guineas separately and guard the other chickens until they've eaten their breakfast each morning. I'm tired of rescuing those poor chickens - so the guineas days are numbered.

Thank you for this thread; I wasn't aware of how destructive and loud those critters were until experiencing them for a summer.

Quote:
How big is your coop and pen? Guineas need a lot more room than chickens do, and overcrowded Guineas usually do become aggressive. As far as the noise goes... lol well you should have done your homework before getting them. The term barnyard watchdogs has been synonymous with Guineas for centuries.

Guineas aren't for everyone, but there are plenty of us that absolutely adore these quirky/moody birds. Maybe you can find someone that wants them for their pest control benefits rather than just eating them because they don't work with your poultry routine and set up...
hit.gif

Quote:
How big is your coop and pen? Guineas need a lot more room than chickens do, and overcrowded Guineas usually do become aggressive. As far as the noise goes... lol well you should have done your homework before getting them. The term barnyard watchdogs has been synonymous with Guineas for centuries.

Guineas aren't for everyone, but there are plenty of us that absolutely adore these quirky/moody birds. Maybe you can find someone that wants them for their pest control benefits rather than just eating them because they don't work with your poultry routine and set up...
hit.gif

x2
thumbsup.gif

~ Aspen
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom