Guineas Laying Eggs at 8 months

Welcome second generation guineas!
image.jpg

Ok….. this little one hatched out of a Guinea egg, but……. That’s a comb
Isn’t it? Do I have a chicken/guinea cross here??

Attachments

• IMG_0685.jpeg
    IMG_0685.jpeg
    466.7 KB · Views: 2
This one has something wrong with its crop. I had to assist with the hatch because it got stuck in its shell. Looked like some unabsorbed yolk maybe was drying to it and stuck so I had to loosen with warm water and carefully help it out. It’s been laying down for over an hour and breathing looks labored :( I don’t dare open the incubator again right now though because there are many other unhatched yet and 6 fresh wet keets that are trying to warm up and dry out still.
IMG_0688.jpeg

@Rivers Edge Homestead what protocols did you follow for incubating your guinea eggs? Congrats on a successful first hatch from your hens!
I washed the eggs with lukewarm water and wiped with peroxide. Then I placed them in an incubator with automatic turner and air circulation, temp set at 100 and humidity between 40-60%. The incubator was set to go on lockdown late in the evening on Wednesday (day 25) but after breakfast Wednesday morning, I heard the loud crack of the first guinea completely coming out of its shell! I scrambled to remove the turner and return the eggs to the incubator. (Another that had pipped at that time got dry and stuck unfortunately.)

Back
Top Bottom