Is my guinea hen preparing for a hatch?

Hablo

In the Brooder
Nov 11, 2023
Germany
My guinea fowl hen Petra has gained a lot of weight the last few weeks. Since some weeks she layed almost every day an egg into the chicken coop into the same nest.
Today, suddenly there were a lot of down feathers from her.
I've recently been told that ducks put a lot of down feathers into their nest when they want to breed (as our running ducks also did some days ago).

If Petra will go broody the next days, my plan was to put only chicken eggs under her as we don't want more guineas at the moment. Besides Petra we have also one guinea cock. Any tips for my plan?

Nice greetings from Germany, Hablo

Attachments

• IMG_5062.JPG
    IMG_5062.JPG
    448.2 KB · Views: 16
She may be going broody.

I have had broody guineas before and the main advice I have is to pen them up when the chicks are hatched. The parents don’t realize the keets cannot keep up and take them all over the place and eventually lose them. I am sure that would be even more important if they are raising chicken babies.

My guineas came with my house so they were used to free ranging across the neighborhood. They did a great job of incubating the eggs but they weren’t great parents after that.

She may be going broody.

I have had broody guineas before and the main advice I have is to pen them up when the chicks are hatched. The parents don’t realize the keets cannot keep up and take them all over the place and eventually lose them. I am sure that would be even more important if they are raising chicken babies.

My guineas came with my house so they were used to free ranging across the neighborhood. They did a great job of incubating the eggs but they weren’t great parents after that.
Thanks. We pen our mother chickens up, so I'm used to this :) We have two mother chicks at the moment with chicks of different ages.

Back
Top Bottom