Adopted a Guinea Hen

HalleBirdy

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 27, 2016
I just acquired a Guinea hen. I say acquired because it was kind of sudden. The hen was dropped off at an equestrian facility and the owner absolutely did not want her there because of the noise and the choices were either rehome or "remove". So I've been doing research about keeping Guineas and I have a couple questions.
1. Apparently one of the hardest parts about keeping Guineas is keeping them on your property, especially if they're "transplanted". I've currently have her in an 8'x10' pen with a top on it. How long should I wait before letting her free-range? I've seen everything from 2 weeks to 6 weeks.
2. Do I need to get a couple more? I have a small flock of chickens, and although it seems the two species can coexist, will she still need a couple other Guinea hens to live with? I'm totally ok having a few of them running around, especially since they are such good pest control.

I just acquired a Guinea hen. I say acquired because it was kind of sudden. The hen was dropped off at an equestrian facility and the owner absolutely did not want her there because of the noise and the choices were either rehome or "remove". So I've been doing research about keeping Guineas and I have a couple questions.
1. Apparently one of the hardest parts about keeping Guineas is keeping them on your property, especially if they're "transplanted". I've currently have her in an 8'x10' pen with a top on it. How long should I wait before letting her free-range? I've seen everything from 2 weeks to 6 weeks.
2. Do I need to get a couple more? I have a small flock of chickens, and although it seems the two species can coexist, will she still need a couple other Guinea hens to live with? I'm totally ok having a few of them running around, especially since they are such good pest control.
My recommendation is that you rehome it to someone who already has guineas.

Guineas are a flock bird that do best in large groups. I never recommend having fewer than 10 for proper flock dynamics.

If they haven't been imprinted by chickens, they can coexist. If they have been imprinted by chickens they will treat the chickens the same way they treat each other. In that case they can cause severe stress to the chickens.

Why do you think it is a hen?

My recommendation is that you rehome it to someone who already has guineas.

Guineas are a flock bird that do best in large groups. I never recommend having fewer than 10 for proper flock dynamics.

If they haven't been imprinted by chickens, they can coexist. If they have been imprinted by chickens they will treat the chickens the same way they treat each other. In that case they can cause severe stress to the chickens.

Why do you think it is a hen?
The person who dropped her off is another rider at the facility. She got eggs from her. She was once kept with two others but this hen was the only one she had left. She has chickens and ducks as well and they got along fine. I live on a farm and have plenty of space, so getting more is not an issue. And I don't know anybody else with guineas.

The person who dropped her off is another rider at the facility. She got eggs from her. She was once kept with two others but this hen was the only one she had left. She has chickens and ducks as well and they got along fine. I live on a farm and have plenty of space, so getting more is not an issue. And I don't know anybody else with guineas.
Put an ad on your locsl craigslist.

Put an ad on your locsl craigslist.
That's not the route I want to go. I am interested in talking to people that have owned guineas; that's why I made this post. I want to have a conversation with other people in addition to doing my own research. I want to hear others' experiences that relate to the questions so asked. You get all kinds of opinions and different stories from people on public forums and that's why I'm here.

I want to have a conversation with other people in addition to doing my own research.
Hi HalleBirdy
👋 🙂

I am presently sitting with a single Guinea Fowl (that is still a keet), and I too logged in on BackYard Chickens to start conversations and to do research. Everyone that I have interacted with here so far has been very friendly and helpfull; and I have gained some great advice and insight into starting to understand Guinea Fowl. I still have a loooooooong way to go.

My biggest lesson has been that Guinea Fowl need their own kind to thrive and to not have issues.

I wittness issues popping up in "my" keet the longer it is with me and so I am working on finding a suitable flock for it. Please wish me luck.

The second lesson I learnt is that Guinea Fowl are not like chickens; mainly in character.

I was joking with my friend just yesterday saying that Guinea Fowl are like the tattooed, gun slinging, high on Methylenedioxymethamphetamine gangster versions of chickens... who are pretty gangster themselves.
🤣

Anywho, I wish you all the best with your Guinea Hen; and I would just like to add that I understand that different cases (and circumstances) can call for different advice, but @R2elk has not been awarded BackYard Chickens Educator for no reason. Please consider any of his very experienced advice which he has to give as I am certain his intentions are good. He has helped me out in times when I have felt lost over what is best for "my" Guinea.

Last edited:
I have had guinea fowl for many years. I don't recommend taking in a single guinea. I have raised them with chickens and turkeys and will never raise them that way again.

Read the thread Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay particular attention to posts by @PeepsCA.
Thank you! I'll definitely check it out! I did actually go on Craigslist this morning and found someone close (enough) by that sells guineas, so I reached out about getting some from them
i HalleBirdy
👋 🙂

I am presently sitting with a single Guinea Fowl (that is still a keet), and I too logged in on BackYard Chickens to start conversations and to do research. Everyone that I have interacted with here so far has been very friendly and helpfull; and I have gained some great advice and insight into starting to understand Guinea Fowl. I still have a loooooooong way to go.

My biggest lesson has been that Guinea Fowl need their own kind to thrive and to not have issues.

I wittness issues popping up in "my" keet the longer it is with me and so I am working on finding a suitable flock for it. Please wish me luck.

The second lesson I learnt is that Guinea Fowl are not like chickens; mainly in character.

I was joking with my friend just yesterday saying that Guinea Fowl are like the tattooed, gun slinging, high on Methylenedioxymethamphetamine gangster versions of chickens... who are pretty gangster themselves.
🤣

Anywho, I wish you all the best with your Guinea Hen; and I would just like to add that I understand that different cases (and circumstances) can call for different advice, but @R2elk has not been awarded BackYard Chickens Educator for no reason. Please consider any of his very experienced advice which he has to give as I am certain his intentions are good. He has helped me out in times when I have felt lost over what is best for "my" Guinea.
Thank you! I'll definitely check it out! I did actually go on Craigslist this morning and found someone close (enough) by that sells guineas, and I've reached out about getting some from them.
I have had guinea fowl for many years. I don't recommend taking in a single guinea. I have raised them with chickens and turkeys and will never raise them that way again.

Read the thread Raising Guinea Fowl 101 and pay particular attention to posts by @PeepsCA.

Good luck on getting some more guineas to keep your hen company. Some people have luck with a single guinea or two, but most of the time they get wiggy when they don't have a flock to be with.

If your hen is constantly calling with a two-syllable call this isn't really distress: she's looking for a mate. Mine right now are in that "never shut up phase" before they pair off.

If you manage to get more guineas, they need at least four weeks to acclimate to a new coop, & then only let part of the flock out at a time & only for a an hour or two before dusk. Then as the days go by give them progressively more "outside time."

If the original owner was letting them run wild, they may still prefer to sleep in the trees.

Even if you have them completely coop-trained, guineas like to wander a lot more than other poultry. You might want to invest in fencing or learn how to herd them: one area where guineas are easier to train than chickens is being herded.

Good luck on getting some more guineas to keep your hen company. Some people have luck with a single guinea or two, but most of the time they get wiggy when they don't have a flock to be with.

If your hen is constantly calling with a two-syllable call this isn't really distress: she's looking for a mate. Mine right now are in that "never shut up phase" before they pair off.

If you manage to get more guineas, they need at least four weeks to acclimate to a new coop, & then only let part of the flock out at a time & only for a an hour or two before dusk. Then as the days go by give them progressively more "outside time."

If the original owner was letting them run wild, they may still prefer to sleep in the trees.

Even if you have them completely coop-trained, guineas like to wander a lot more than other poultry. You might want to invest in fencing or learn how to herd them: one area where guineas are easier to train than chickens is being herded.
Thanks! I've got a fully fenced yard (with extra tall fencing on the woods side) but I'm fully aware that Guineas can fly over. The hen I have now previously did well with 2 other hens and I believe they stayed out. She liked being around/in the barn at the equestrian facility. She is definitely making the "buckwheat" mating call, though to me it sounds more like a box spring mattress than "buckwheat" lol. I'm just hesitant to get any males because I have a rooster with my flock of chickens and I don't want a cockfight. I'll definitely start with letting them out one at a time and go from there, and I'll definitely work with herding them. The hen I have is easily herded; I herded her into a horse stall so it was easier to catch her. She's really docile unless you're trying to catch her. I was able to pet her while she was sitting on the edge of one of the stalls.

Back
Top Bottom