Young Guinea hen packing coupe

Cgrimm87

Hatching
Apr 5, 2024
I have 5, 8 week old different breeds of chickens, and 1, 8 week old guinea hen. All have been raised together. For the past week the Guinea hen has been pecking the inside of the coupe and dragging her beak up the side of the coupe… They have “yard” time from sun up till sundown. Food and water is outside and inside their coupe. They have hanging chicken toys inside of coupe for everyone to play with. Can Anyone Please Tell me or Explain Why my Guinea hen is doing this…

I have 5, 8 week old different breeds of chickens, and 1, 8 week old guinea hen. All have been raised together. For the past week the Guinea hen has been pecking the inside of the coupe and dragging her beak up the side of the coupe… They have “yard” time from sun up till sundown. Food and water is outside and inside their coupe. They have hanging chicken toys inside of coupe for everyone to play with. Can Anyone Please Tell me or Explain Why my Guinea hen is doing this…
Guineas are flock birds and do best in large groups of guineas. I recommend that you rehome the guinea to someone who already has a flock of guineas.

Guineas have entirely different instincts than any other poultry and can cause extreme stress to other poultry.

Guineas are flock birds and do best in large groups of guineas. I recommend that you rehome the guinea to someone who already has a flock of guineas.

Guineas have entirely different instincts than any other poultry and can cause extreme stress to other poultry.
I’ve raised both Chickens and Guineas hens before, together and separately. Never seen stress from any of my chickens caused by any of my guinea hens. Mine have always cohabitated fine, a couple of the roosters were pestering the guinea hens so I did rehome them. I’m a stay at home wife, I have nothing else to do but watch them all day so I will keep watching and see if I notice any off behavior.

And the only odd behavior is the guinea pecking on the coupe not on the chickens… so I was only asking why would the guinea do this odd behavior. It’s not bothering or stressing the chickens, they are sleeping and worried by the pecking.. and yes I’m an odd person who watches my animals 24/7. I even have a camera in the coupe to watch the chickens and guinea hen. 😂

It could be there's something shiny like bolt or nail heads that are attracting its attention, or it may think there's bugs to be had there, or it simply may just like the noise it makes.

I have a couple guineas that like to peck the down-spouts on my rain gutters at the house from time to time and they're either not bothered by or perhaps they actually like the hollow noise it makes.

It could be there's something shiny like bolt or nail heads that are attracting its attention, or it may think there's bugs to be had there, or it simply may just like the noise it makes.

I have a couple guineas that like to peck the down-spouts on my rain gutters at the house from time to time and they're either not bothered by or perhaps they actually like the hollow noise it makes.
Thank you, that makes sense.. she does like to make noise and peck on wooden things throughout the day.. 😆

Hi this is a different topic but wondering if any of you knew what this could be, we had a guinea hen just die today and we do not know what caused it, it looks like it pooped out all of it insides and then died. I just saw it last night and looked okay. We are hoping it is not the Bird Flu since that seems to be going around again. They are free range Guineas we have 3 other younger guineas that were actually the babies from this Guinea Hen that were hatched last summer by her but as of right now they seem to be doing fine. Thank you!

Hi this is a different topic but wondering if any of you knew what this could be, we had a guinea hen just die today and we do not know what caused it, it looks like it pooped out all of it insides and then died. I just saw it last night and looked okay. We are hoping it is not the Bird Flu since that seems to be going around again. They are free range Guineas we have 3 other younger guineas that were actually the babies from this Guinea Hen that were hatched last summer by her but as of right now they seem to be doing fine. Thank you!
:welcome Sorry to hear about your hen was she laying eggs because it sounds like a prolapse.

Back
Top Bottom