guineas make the best revenge

Chihirolee3

Chirping
Apr 8, 2018
nowhere Iowa
So when my husband and I first moved to our rual, 127 pop. town, we formally asked if we could have chickens. We were told no and had the state ordinance printed off for proof.
Well, it's been 5 years since then, and in that time, I learned a few things. First, a longtime resident has chickens, and has had them for decades. Secondly, the MAYOR got chickens, and not only did he get them AFTER we asked, he let them free range with a 3 ft fence with our first house's yard going up to his. Those chickens constantly hopped the fence into our yard. Didn't bother me (as I obviously partial to them), but after enough birds were taken by hawks and/or owls (they have a tree filled yard), they now properly pen them.
Then 2 years ago, we moved a block away from our first home. last fall, I was given 3 ducklings on the fly, and I had NOTHING for them. No coop, no run, no place. It was a haphazard situation, and my husband and I ended up housing the ducklings in our basement over the winter in a pen made out of old, broken doors. Soon after we got them, my husband and I agreed to get some guinea fowl, as he loves their weirdness. So the next local swap meet, I got some keets and raised them next to the ducks in our basement, all winter. This spring I build the coop, and before I put the birds out in February, I got 4 Rhode island red pullets chicks (for dedicated egg layers), and for a time, all 3 groups were in the basement. On the first of June, I had finished the run, and the birds experienced freedom from confinement, just in time for the local town celebration. We just happen to live by the park in our town btw. The guineas, when riled up, are loud and obnoxious. It's great. Half the town loves their existence because it upsets the applecart with local politics. We don't have the right name, so technically we can't have them. BUT, they can't tell us to get rid of them because it would mean everyone, even the mayor, has to get of theirs. Not going to happen.
So yeah, there's my story on why we have guinea fowl, in town. Political revenge. :plbb

Looks like your town is more corrupt than the BIG ONES.
Do you hold elections in your town??? Or is it run dictatorially.?:idunno
Towns all over this country are changing their chicken ordinances. With a population of 127, should not be too hard to get things changed..
WISHING YOU BEST....................... and:welcome

LOL, love guineas myself, just hatched 14 of them, babies. But I live in the woods but my one neighbor a couple acres away just loves them so I am good to go. They are 2 days old.
IMG_2015.JPG

I have 6 guinea fowl, 4 chocolate muscovys, and 4 Rhode island red pullets.
There are elections in town, but 2 families "run" the town. The mayor and his family, and another family who has a lot of relatives in town.
Our town is mostly elderly people though, and many do not vote. Due to my job, I can never go to City council meetings. I do not really see it so much as corrupt (collectively), just more "if you do not carry the either of the two main family names, you have no power." Times will change though. The town is shrinking still, and I work at the local truck stop (the only business in town that hires). I have learned about many locals here (I am not native, and mostly keep to myself outside of my job). Due to this job I've made more friends than enemies. Plus I am working on starting up a welding business in town (a woman owned welding shop). In other words, I'm gaining ground to become active politically on the local level and hope to get involved politically down the road.
Luckily, the only things they could have nagged me on was my confinement of my birds, which have the most protected run in town (wire underground, cattle panel covered in chicken wire domed ceiling, and horse fencing for sides). I am at least a good neighbor to lock my birds in their coop every night, so they can't get me on noise ordinance issues.

I go with the "think smarter, not harder" philosophy when navigating the people of this town.

Back
Top Bottom