Guineas snow and trees

Thank you all for input. The 2 remain outside, it is now day 7. We have tried all suggestions and have tried to talk them down as well. lol Nothing seems to work. At least last night was in low 20s and temps are improving. Yesterday they flew from tree and to tree and continue to do so. I figure that is a good sign. We have 18 more cooped up and are scared to let them out with the snow on the ground. Luckily we have a good size coop with 2 sections so we are able to leave the door open to one side of the coop for the 2 rebels to join their flock. If we have enough snow melt today, we may let a few of the others out and see what happens.
Well as I was typing this, I heard my husband yelling for me from outside-the 2 finally came down and made it into coop. YAY!!! I guess they decided it was time to join the rest of their gang. SOOO grateful!!!!
Yay! :celebrate

Party time!

Thank you all for input. The 2 remain outside, it is now day 7. We have tried all suggestions and have tried to talk them down as well. lol Nothing seems to work. At least last night was in low 20s and temps are improving. Yesterday they flew from tree and to tree and continue to do so. I figure that is a good sign. We have 18 more cooped up and are scared to let them out with the snow on the ground. Luckily we have a good size coop with 2 sections so we are able to leave the door open to one side of the coop for the 2 rebels to join their flock. If we have enough snow melt today, we may let a few of the others out and see what happens.
Well as I was typing this, I heard my husband yelling for me from outside-the 2 finally came down and made it into coop. YAY!!! I guess they decided it was time to join the rest of their gang. SOOO grateful!!!!
Do you ever give them white millet? Only as a treat or for training. But if you give it to them, put remainder in a c
ontainer like a plastic coffee container - something you can shake so they learn to associate that sound with treat. It won't be a 100% guarantee, but they'll definitely start thinking about how yummy millet is and gosh they'd sure like some...
This is how I trained mine to return to their coop and to return to me when I clap my hands. Now they return to the coop on their own. 😉
We ended up with huge drifts this week,& they marched themselves to the other end of the yard before finding a perch out of the snow. Everyone returned when I clapped except one; she mournfully buckwheated until I waded over and picked her up. Little hitchhiker!

Do you ever give them white millet? Only as a treat or for training. But if you give it to them, put remainder in a c
ontainer like a plastic coffee container - something you can shake so they learn to associate that sound with treat. It won't be a 100% guarantee, but they'll definitely start thinking about how yummy millet is and gosh they'd sure like some...
This is how I trained mine to return to their coop and to return to me when I clap my hands. Now they return to the coop on their own. 😉
We ended up with huge drifts this week,& they marched themselves to the other end of the yard before finding a perch out of the snow. Everyone returned when I clapped except one; she mournfully buckwheated until I waded over and picked her up. Little hitchhiker!
No I have never given them white millet but will give it a try. We give them chicken crumbles and cracked corn as a treat, meal worms once in a while. They are trained to recognize the sound made when we tape feed container and sound of feed being poured into their feed holders.
I was surprised at their reaction to the snow fall. I guess I should have realized from past experience that they are very leery of anything new. Glad they are cold hardy birds! This is our second year raising guineas and we have lost many to predators. If you can tolerate the sometimes annoying sounds, they are very fun birds to have around and ours do a great job with eating ticks!

Just catching up with this - awesome news!:celebrate

Back
Top Bottom