Guineas: Why Did I Bother?

I still like guineas better than chickens. I hatched out 29 this summer. And if the rest mine survive the winter I'll hatch more next summer.
tongue.png
Of the 6 I have left free-ranging, 5 have decided to roost in the barn everynight, so I lock them up tight.

And I haven't seen a single tick in months.
big_smile.png

sorry to hear about the babies. i would suggest you keep them penned so preds dont get them, when you free range the danger factor goes to 100% cause they dont know any better. i have mine penned in a dog kennel with chick wire around that with a top for protection. i hope this helps so you dont lose any more

Your Guinea exspericene sounds like mine!!
But I love the guineas....

We had one lonely little guinea "Oliver" (which some on here thought might be a girl). That is the only surviving guinea out of roughly 13 keets. It grew up with the chickens-after coming out of the house. It hangs out with the chickens, doesn't wander off, and is always with at least 2 or 3 other birds. Not even picky weither its the hens or roosters it hangs out with.
Then just recently I got 9 more baby keets.
I have 4 left. 2 died after these last few cold nights early mornings. They even had a heat lamp. 1 had injured its leg and was hobbling around...I think the other birds squished that one. And the other 2 I am not sure how they died...Either from the cold, or maybe stepped on by the others...

I love having them around though as they are constantly letting you know they are here. The neighbor has a few and they come and visit every once in a while...Kinda nervous hoping mine don't fly up there someday...

I have 17 of the litte buggers. Over the course of 6 years i've only lost 3. 1 to a dog,1 was killed by the others and 1 to unknown causes. All we could think was that he flew into a fence post. Strange huh. They come home every night to be shut up in their house. Maybe its because we don't have any trees to speak of.LOL

KEETS
HPIM0493.jpg

More Keets
HPIM0487.jpg

The trick, let a chicken raise them, so the will learn from her where home is and they return to the coop every night, I did have one of my original 12 decide he wanted to stay out in the trees, and I had feathers the next morning, but loosing 1 in 2 years is not a bad average. No ticks and a warning system for the chickens.
HPIM0398.jpg

Guineas have to be kept locked up beyond 3 months. At least 4 - 5 months in a closed in coop before letting them out and making sure you keep feed out where you want them to come back to will bring them home.

I have Guineas that have been free ranging for over a year and they never stray beyond my barn and small pasture.

I have a batch from this spring with my turkeys that are itching to get out but those little beasts are staying locked in until they reach 4 months old.

Quote:
Let a chicken raise them mine have been out since about 3 days old, under the watchfull eye of a Momma Chicken.

I know you dont mix animals, but it might be worth a try. Maybe trick the broody into bringing them back to the guinea area instead of the chicken area????

At the time I didn't have a broody. I had to hatch them myself and they hatched 5 days before the turkeys. It made a perfect opportunity to let the keets teach the turkeys. I did not loose 1 turkey. Those keets helped them all learn to eat and drink.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I wish I had thought of that, I hatched a duck with my turkey(1 out of 14 eggs), I would have skipped on the duck, now I have 4 keets and a turkey that think they are ducks.
he.gif

Dangerouschicken - quit scaring my martket away!
big_smile.png
(actually you are my market, "I'm so sorry you lost your guineas, would you like to buy somemore?"
wink.png
), just messing with you here

I do agree with MissPrissy that guineas need to be kept up until at least 4 mths. I try and tell my buyers to keep them penned at least until they are bigger than a football if they can't wait that long. I have raised some with chickens and seem slight improvement in wanderlust, but they need to wander some to eat all your bugs.

luvmychicknkids - Guineas are the absolute best tick control method, watchdogs so-so mine yell at just about everything, but since they are still more of a wild bird that need to roam to do their job they do come with the risk of more losses than confined chickens.

Back
Top Bottom