guineas

They will do the best if you can train them to go into a coop at night. I currently have 7 that free range and they are not coop trained. Needless to say they started out at 11. My cats got a couple when they were smaller and then I think an owl got the last couple. They are big enough now that the cats leave them alone and I think they are owl wise now. I have 31 young ones in a brooder room and I do plan on coop training them. I am actually going to try to keep these penned up til next spring and then turn them all out. I cant wait till I have 30 sum guineas running around the property. Then of course it will be time to collect eggs and trade to get even more. They are sooooo addicting. Good luck, Jenn

It all depends on how involved you're going to be with them. Mine are all coop trained, they come in every evening. I have not lost any to predators so far.

You also need to consider climate. In the winter they need the same accomodations that chickens need, maybe even more so since they originate from Africa. They do tolerate the high temps far better than chickens though.

Mine are also coop trained - they really stick with the chickens all day unless they are flying off to yell at a predator. I have never had any problems with them going in the coop (confined them to the coop for 12 weeks though).

OH Mine do great.....great watch dogs , they have helped save many of my chickens from a pack of coyotes roaming around and mine follow me around or the chickens all day.... get some,you will love them........and mine coop up with the rest of my flock,actually they are the first ones wanting in coop at night.

Last edited:
I have 15 guineas around 11 weeks old. They are allowed to free range but they don't seem to go too far from the barn. They run with the turkeys and they all stick together. Actually, my one Tom turkey seems to rule the whole flock of them.

They run back to the barn as soon as they see be coming. They get locked in the barn at night and roost on the stairs leading up to the hay loft.

I've let them free range for several weeks now and I haven't lost any yet.

Take care,

Tami

I just got 15 baby guineas last week and have thier brooder in the coop with the chickens. Do I just keep them locked in the coop for 6 weeks or so to train them to come back the coop at night or do I need to do something else?
Wally

Do your chickens free range? It pretty much depends on that. I've got keets in my coop now but my birds only have a fenced yard they go in to. The keets, even the 4 months olds, have not left the immediate area.

my chickens also only have a fenced yard (about 40x40). They go in the coop at night ,where to guineas' brooder is, and I lock them up and let them out in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom