Gumboro and Newcastle inoculations. Can I do it in one go as a cocktail?

Jan Aucamp

Chirping
Mar 3, 2019
Quelimane, Mozambique
I have 42 Orpington Buffs on my yard. It is time to vaccinate them. I bought the vaccine yesterday, what was available. Just Gumboro and Newcastle. Mareks was never heard of here. This is Mozambique after all. Dark Africa.

Can I prepare a cocktail and vaccinate them in one go?

Regards from Africa

Jan Aucamp

I don’t give vaccinations to my chickens except for Mareks when I get chicks from a hatchery. As a nurse, I was always taught to not routinely mix medications in the water. I would probably use one vaccine in their water, wait a couple of days, then use the second vaccine in the water. If you can contact the manufacturer, they might advise you to mix them. But since vaccines need to be measured in so much water, it might be more accurate to do it separately.

Thank
I don’t give vaccinations to my chickens except for Mareks when I get chicks from a hatchery. As a nurse, I was always taught to not routinely mix medications in the water. I would probably use one vaccine in their water, wait a couple of days, then use the second vaccine in the water. If you can contact the manufacturer, they might advise you to mix them. But since vaccines need to be measured in so much water, it might be more accurate to do it separately.
Thank you for the reply. I googled Hipra in Spain, and the brochure was very unclear. Fortunately I found something else on the web. But hey, 0.03ml per chick in the eye...difficult to control that.
I'll definitely not make a cocktail. Was warned against that.

The ones I researched were put in the water, but the ones you put into the eye would be more accurate. That is more labor intensive though. Just for your info, when I went to the doctor for immunizations recently, they would only give me one at a time. The body will have an immune response to each vaccine within days after giving one. It would probably be best to wait evn a week or more between vaccines. But baby chicks in hatcheries are frequently vaccinated for 2 diseases.

Back
Top Bottom