Guppy/Molly question.

Yes you will have to remove the female or she will eat the fry. Also your female guppies are all most likely pregnant.

dudes...they're FISH
smack.gif
and y'all look about ready to rip each other to shreds over whether or not they can cross breed
D.gif

more importantly the EASIEST fish to take care of, I bred both guppies and mollies for YEARS in the same tank and they never so much as looked at each other as mating parteners. never once got Gollies or Muppies or the latter.

that is what live-bearers do, breed and breed and breed and breed..ONE mating can produce SEVERAL batches of young, you more or less have to get VIRGIN females in order to assume that she's not pregnant, a fish from a store may not LOOK pregnant but always assume that she is, and could be carrying enough sperm to last her throughout her entire breeding life.

Put a lot of plants or other decor in the tank to add hiding places to reduce the stress and keep up on the water changes. (yes, guppies and mollies can produce hybrids, but it's pretty rare)

For now just make sure temperature doesn't fluxuate too much and watch those nitrates level. They can be a big issue with fry.

Last edited:
lau.gif
so basically guppy and molly crosses are like the mules of the horse world?! WOW I had no idea, that is soo funny! As for the babies, good luck, I have guppies for years and have yet to deter them from multiplying, I just let do what they did and give away the babies. I do watch them and flush all deformities, and ensure that there are a few new tank members added to keep the gene pool strong. I also added a Betta fish to the mix. He is very good at eating fry, and if you get the right one they don't bother the male guppies too bad. Mine is the tank boss but they seem to get along fairly well. Good luck with your tank!

Yep, a male guppy can inpregnate a female molly and she will produce all male sterile offspring. But as stated by another poster, unless she was a virgin when placed in the tank, odds are she was bred by another molly.

I think maybe the guppies that looked like they were trying to mate her might have been jockeying for position for the "treats" she was dispensing... that she was already in labor and having babies and the guppies were eating them.

Back
Top Bottom