Any fish breeders?

I have a fish tank I don't breed nor have I ever. I do want to get some more white cloud mountain minnows for one who all of its buddies in its previous tank, that my brother got it was smaller than a five gallon and didn't have much plants they hopped out or simply died from stress or something.

Before the last one could die we decided to move it to the ten gallon that has a kuhli loach in it, which im going to get another of to cause he needs another or more of his kind as well.

How do you do QT tanks, I already know how but have never done one before and am worried I'm gonna screw up some how with ph and just the water quality in general.

I have a spare filter media in the ten gallon so I can use it in the 5 gallon that is going to be the QT tank. And I was thinking of putting water from the ten gallon in there but im not sure, how to maintain it for 2 weeks or more.

I do want to build a pond for my ducks one day, I hope to make it have fish and snails and plants so it'll provide lots of stuff the ducks need and it'll be all year round to.

@HKG , my sister, has a handful of fish and they just had babies too. We've never had any have babies before. It was a swordtail and a Molly I think that had the babies.
The mom was an orange lyre tail swordtail and the dad was likely a swordtail but I believe she was already gravid when I got her from the pet store so I'm not sure. She had 23 I think. The other one is an orange - yellow platy. She had around 4 that made it.

I used to breed guppies for fun. However, I had so many issues with them randomly dying young that I stopped breeding them. I would definitely recommend getting another tank so you can separate the males from the females if the population starts to get out of control (which can definitely happen).

Last edited:
Also, I got some ghost shrimp maybe a month or two back. Well, I saw the comets eat a few, I was thinking that was the end of that. But yesterday I saw three or four of them. So Idk if they bred or if those are some of the ones I bought, but if they haven't bred I hope they will soon.
Ghost shrimp have very specific requirements for breeding, so that isn’t likely. However, red cherry shrimp will breed in a heated freshwater tank and have some very fun colors, if you can keep the tank clean and prevent fish from eating their babies.

I used to breed guppies for fun. However, I had so many issues with them randomly dying young that I stopped breeding them. I would definitely recommend getting another tank so you can separate the males from the females if the population starts to get out of control (which can happen).
I haven't had to good of an experience with the guppies either. I got them when my tank was fairly new and they just kept dying.

Ghost shrimp have very specific requirements for breeding, so that isn’t likely. However, red cherry shrimp will breed in a heated freshwater tank and have some very fun colors, if you can keep the tank clean and prevent fish from eating their babies.
My ghost shrimp never bred.

I’ve bred goldfish, koi, channel catfish, warmouth perch, bluegill, black mollies, white cloud mountain minnows, golden shiners, largemouth bass, and others.

Its easy to breed “ghost” shrimp in Florida. They are native here. We don’t call them ghost shrimp, we call them grass shrimp. Its amusing to see them overpriced in petstores. Here we can by them by the cup for fish bait.

I’ve bred goldfish, koi, channel catfish, warmouth perch, bluegill, black mollies, white cloud mountain minnows, golden shiners, largemouth bass, and others.

Its easy to breed “ghost” shrimp in Florida. They are native here. We don’t call them ghost shrimp, we call them grass shrimp. Its amusing to see them overpriced in petstores. Here we can by them by the cup for fish bait.
They’re sold as feeder shrimp here, too, but the ones sold as feeders are often sick.

I would definitely recommend getting another tank so you can separate the males from the females if the population starts to get out of control (which can definitely happen).
Separating them does not make much difference with guppies. Female guppies store sperm even better than female chickens.

As a practical matter, assume that if a female guppy has EVER bred with a male, that she will keep having one batch of babies after another for her entire life. And if it doesn't really last through her whole life, it certainly does last long enough for some of her sons to grow up and start mating with her, so then she's having babies again anyway.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom