guy at the fair told me "all" hatchery turkeys come from Ideal

Quote:
I think your right this guy is full of it, there are many Turkey breeders throughout the country, and each hatchery has their own sources for stocking Turkey's.

AL

Well I know that Cackle, McMurray, Welp, Ideal, And a few others actually have their own breeding stock that they own. I have contacted the ones I listed to make sure as I was told this and the they all state that they own their own breeding stock.

Even in the census report they put down they have breeding flocks and Cackle had the largest heritage breeding flock in the US at that time.

There is alot of hatcheries (smaller ones) that contract from other breeders for their eggs and all they do is hatch them and others simply drop ship.

You can always ask before you place an order, if they beat around the bush and don't give you a straight answer then go else where.

18074_banjo_turkey.gif

One Banjo Playing Turkey at your service!!

Thanks for all the replies. I sort of thought he was exaggerating and it seems he was pretty far off base. Now what about my aunt, who told me that turkeys will drown if left out in the rain?
tongue.png

(Kidding, I know that one isn't true!)

Quote:
Thats funny we ordered turkeys from Welp and McMurray in the past and they were drop shipped from Texas. Neither Murray or Welp is located in Texas. My wife Sharon is from Texas and has alot of family there, there are quite a few turkey hatcheries there that aren't owned by any hatchery - they are contract hatcheries.

Think about it..... a big hatchery like Murray ships probably millions of chicks in season. They contract egg sales from private breeders, they can't keep an maintain enough breeders for that volume. You would be much better off buying from a turkey ranch than a hatchery.

Steve in NC

Last edited:
Thats funny we ordered turkeys from Welp and McMurray in the past and they were drop shipped from Texas. Neither Murray or Welp is located in Texas. My wife Sharon is from Texas and has alot of family there, there are quite a few turkey hatcheries there that aren't owned by any hatchery - they are contract hatcheries.

Think about it..... a big hatchery like Murray ships probably millions of chicks in season. They contract egg sales from private breeders, they can't keep an maintain enough breeders for that volume. You would be much better off buying from a turkey ranch than a hatchery.

Steve in NC

Okay well Welp says they own their own stock and that they are in New Mexico. McMurray says theirs is in texas ??

That is what they told me when I called and asked them you can call and ask as well. I have never ordered from a hatchery before so I couldn't tell you where they really come from but that is what they told me. and that is what the report states that they all maintain their own breeding flocks and so on.​

Perhaps the big hatcheries own the breeding stock and place them with the various contractors? I used to keep show dogs that were technically owned by their breeder; we'd have litters and the breeder would come and evaluate them and decide which to sell, which to keep. Perhaps the arrangement is something akin to that.

Back
Top Bottom