Guys think they're funny.... šŸ˜

How many in your flock?? And can you give me an idea of where you put your roosting bars?
Our first roosting bars were 2X4's running parallel to the nest boxes. In the heat of mid July they started roosting in the outside (predator proof) run. Never went back to their coop. I tried putting the same type of branch roost inside the coop and opening up the side more to give it an open air type feel but to no avail. Our 4 littles sleep in the coop but up along the top ledge so I hung a panel heater for them to roost under during the winter.

This is original building of it:
Screenshot_20220404-232518~2.png
Screenshot_20220404-232859~2.png
Screenshot_20220404-232950~2.png
Here is the current set up.
PXL_20220405_000333191.jpg
PXL_20220405_000308067.jpg
PXL_20220405_000311777.jpg

And this is where are the full sized hens/pullets roost. We will remove the plastic and insulation in the next week. It is wrapped in all hardware cloth so completely open. If you look at the build picture these roosts are on the completely open end opposite the coop.
PXL_20220405_000404564.jpg

Edit to add: we have 2 Seramas and 2 Dutch bantams that sleep inside the 5'X6' coop and 12 hens/pullets on the roosts outside. The roo sleeps inside. Total run/coop foot print is 5'X18'. It is too small for all of our flock to stay in 24/7. But it is really only used as a coop now. We let them outside from morning to roosting time. This was built intended for 6 chickens, Dang broodys and chicken mathšŸ¤¦

Last edited:
I gotta say, that's the nicest looking reclaimed wood I've ever seen!
We got super lucky. The building was just remodeled as a paintball/laser tag course. Then the WuFlu hit and he closed it. He ended up selling it to my son's boss who said... Go in and take what you want, you have one week before the demo team gets here. So they did a quick reclaim and then we brought it home and pulled nails for 2 months.

Our first roosting bars were 2X4's running parallel to the nest boxes. In the heat of mid July they started roosting in the outside (predator proof) run. Never went back to their coop. I tried putting the same type of branch roost inside the coop and opening up the side more to give it an open air type feel but to no avail. Our 4 littles sleep in the coop but up along the top ledge so I hung a panel heater for them to roost under during the winter.

This is original building of it:View attachment 3050350View attachment 3050353View attachment 3050354 Here is the current set up.View attachment 3050355View attachment 3050356View attachment 3050357
And this is where are the full sized hens/pullets roost. We will remove the plastic and insulation in the next week. It is wrapped in all hardware cloth so completely open. If you look at the build picture these roosts are on the completely open end opposite the coop.View attachment 3050359
Edit to add: we have 2 Seramas and 2 Dutch bantams that sleep inside the 5'X6' coop and 12 hens/pullets on the roosts outside. The roo sleeps inside. Total run/coop foot print is 5'X18'. It is too small for all of our flock to stay in 24/7. But it is really only used as a coop now. We let them outside from morning to roosting time. This was built intended for 6 chickens, Dang broodys and chicken mathšŸ¤¦
This is great info!! Thank you so much!!!!

Back
Top Bottom