Gwinnett county confusion.

niasham

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
Ok, so I am starting a chicken coop and plan to keep 3 red star chickens. However, I live in Gwinnett county and from the research I've done and what I've read there is a lot of confusion. I was building the coop screened in off of my basement with the run within the screening too. I measured and it would be 100ft from all property lines. The problem is, from what I understand of state law I have the right to do this and my garden etc. according to county I do not. I need 3 acres of land or ra200 zoning. I only live on 1/2 acre of land in a subdivision. So what do I do who do I talk to? Should I do it anyway? This is very frustrating. Thanks for any help you can give me. :rolleyes:

You should call your closest animal control and ask for the information for your specific zip code/address. The state law is not going to matter it is going to be the rules in your county and depending on where you live your city.

For example, for me personally Los Angeles county allows roosters. Los Angeles city (located in but not zoned the same as the county) does not allow roosters and has stricter rules on hens. I live in the city so I have to follow city rules.

It also sounds like other people are fighting this tooth and nail too. I think I may do it any way since the breed is a quiet non nuisance breed. And our yard is fenced, who would know right? Maybe talk to my neighbors as well. Thanks you all.

You are taking a big risk doing it, but I think it depends. My neighbors wouldn't mind at all. HOWEVER, my pesky HOA president has been finding every violation for anything in my neighborhood. (I just got sited for a care we don't drive not having a current tag!) So I would say, as of right now you would be breaking the law, but if you think you can do it in your situation; I would. lol.

To do it legally you have to have min 3 acres, and 100 ft from other property lines. and/or RA200 zoning.
I would write to the county. :) A lot of people have.

I am aware of the risk. I do not have an hoa but just short of the 100 ft rule. I live on a corner lot on a busy street lololol

If they cite me, I have nothing but time and will fight if I have to.

My neighbors love me and so does the the subdivision. I made some drastic improvements to the house and overall neighborhood.

I just found out I have two cocks in my flock so I am preparing to find them a new home.

Seriously gwinnett needs to catch up. Do not even get me started on (lackof)sidewalks.....lollolol

Last edited:
I'm in Gwinnett also and annoyed with the chicken restriction. Especially when most other local counties and towns now allow them. So who do we contact about changing this law?

Last edited:
Not sure, but I think the chicken ordinance falls under Gwinnett Clean and Beautiful. I think hens should be allowed but rosters should still have the 3 acre-100ft rule. When I had my two roosters....they made so much noise I had to get rid of them....for my own sanity!

I have no idea how to change it, but I would totally support the idea!!!!

Last I heard the state WAS going to enact it's own "right to farm" law, allowing anyone to have gardens or raise livestock as long as they could meet the animal's requirements on space and care, and as long as it was only for personal consumption. The idea was to PREVENT local ordinances (i.e. county and city) from enacting or enforcing separate laws prohibiting the ownership of livestock and poultry.

IF they passed it, then you can fight the county against everything they try to throw at you. Simply show that you are meeting state requirements, and that the animals have sufficient space and are cared for. But most important is making sure that the state actually passed the bill, FIRST.

Back
Top Bottom