H E L P

MountainChickenMama

Songster
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
I set 14 eggs last night around 10:30pm....My temp spiked to 102 over night (using a 1602N Hovabator, no fan, with turner) and I had put a little water in the trough to get the humidity a little higher (was sitting at 16%) and now it is 47%!!! I am freaking out, how can I get the humidity down....

47% is good in my opinion. I try to keep humidty from 40-50 during incubation and then increase from 60 +. I, also, have the 1602N. I suggest adding the fan. I tried it without at first and temps jumped around a lot. They usually went high during the day. I added the fan a few days into the second try and was able to have a very successful hatchrate. The temp jumps up about 10 degrees when it is added so beware. I added a pc fan from radio shack by the way.

I have a 1602N. To lower the humidity you need to remove one or both of the red plugs on the top. This might make the temp drop a little to. I usaualy keep my humidity between 35% and 50% and have not had any problems hatching. My biggest suggestion is get a fan for the 1602. All is not lost. Just make the adjustments and keep an eye on it until everthing has stablized. A little hight humidity in the begining will not hurt anything. Whenever I fill my tray the humidity will spike but then will fall back down to where it needs to be. I hope everthing works out for you.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Open the lid for a minute. Not too long or you will lose too much heat. I incubate at that humidity or sometimes 25% .....depends on different factors and what eggs are in there.

You can use a turkey baster or something of the sort to suck some of the water out of the channels. Twist & drop a paper towel down in to soak up extra water then discard.

I use an LG bator with no fan & no turner. I hate trying to get to the channels for water, so usually just hand turn.

Usually I fill one or sometimes two of the small channels in the LG during incubation.

I opened the lid and it didn't bring the humidity down at all....I would have to take the turner out to get the water out of the trough, so that isn't going to work....any other suggestons other than just leaving it as is?

Quote:
mhm...if it is like my hovabator you should see little air holes on the sides. When I have too high of a humidity I simply lean it over a little bit (with eggs and all, do it gently, just about 20 degrees or so) and let some of the water drain. usually that brings the humitidy back under control.

Avalon: I have air holes on the top (which are not plugged) , not sure about anywhere else...I will go and look to see what I have.....Do you think that 45% is too high????

Quote:
Not really to be honest with you. I keep my eggs at 45-50% day 1-18 and then go up to 70-80 during lockdown. I haven’t had perfect hatches yet with no quitters but fairly reasonable results and no deformities or any other problems. I may have a different type of incubator then. I did read on the incubator manual that you can lower the humidity by covering up the floor with some foil or maybe paper?

Back
Top Bottom