Ha! Got 'em!

FrenchHen

Chicken Ambassador
10 Years
Jan 26, 2009
Bagshot Row
Husband has latched onto (hatched into) the idea of a homemade incubator and fertile eggs from the natural grocery store.

He's upstairs getting the computer fan and Styrofoam cooler as I type this.

muhahahaha muwahahahah!

What? No. I'm fine.

good luck with everything!!! :flBy the way, would like to know how you made your homemade incubator. Also, heard something on here about incubating some grocery stor eggs, is that true???? Are any store bought eggs fertile?? Will they hatch??/ if so would like to know, maybe I will try that to get me some baby chicks!!!!
droolin.gif

ro.netcmarie :

good luck with everything!!! :flBy the way, would like to know how you made your homemade incubator. Also, heard something on here about incubating some grocery stor eggs, is that true???? Are any store bought eggs fertile?? Will they hatch??/ if so would like to know, maybe I will try that to get me some baby chicks!!!!
droolin.gif

Eggs from the grocery store SHOULD NOT be hatched and often will not hatch. Those handful of people who did it ended up with three legged chicks and a whole host of other problems. The eggs that person is talking about are natural farm eggs that are fresh. (Right?)​

There's a sticky on this subject that links to instructions on a homemade incubator.

There's also a recent thread about a kid making an incubator and hatching Trader Joe's eggs.

We're going to get our eggs from the co-op, not the frankenchicken grocery store eggs.

I might even get some from the farm down the road if they have a rooster.

Quote:
Eggs from the grocery store SHOULD NOT be hatched and often will not hatch. Those handful of people who did it ended up with three legged chicks and a whole host of other problems. The eggs that person is talking about are natural farm eggs that are fresh. (Right?)

People on here have hatched them before and none that i know of were three legged. THe only three legged chicken on here is Tripot and he wasnt from a store egg.

Quote:
Eggs from the grocery store SHOULD NOT be hatched and often will not hatch. Those handful of people who did it ended up with three legged chicks and a whole host of other problems. The eggs that person is talking about are natural farm eggs that are fresh. (Right?)

People on here have hatched them before and none that i know of were three legged. THe only three legged chicken on here is Tripot and he wasnt from a store egg.

I didn't say it was someone on here, but it seems there are more horror stories than good ones. Think about all those eggs go through before they get to the store, plus most hens are kept in cages just to lay eggs. Why would they put a rooster in with them to make them fertile? Its just a bad idea when there are so many other sources of good hatching eggs out there.

Quote:

I didn't say it was someone on here, but it seems there are more horror stories than good ones. Think about all those eggs go through before they get to the store, plus most hens are kept in cages just to lay eggs. Why would they put a rooster in with them to make them fertile? Its just a bad idea when there are so many other sources of good hatching eggs out there.

I think it mightbe a good idea to ask where the eggs come from.
Maybe they were delivered by a local farmer. Why they would keep a rooster ? Same reason everybody else does for fertility and for taking care of the flock. I always thought they keep the predators away to some degree and alarmed if they see strange stuff.

Aren't the eggs that people get from the grocery store usually labeled "fertile"? I think a lot of them may be free range as well so they wouldn't be all caged up like a lot of the other types at the grocery store. I don't understand why they would be more susceptible to abnormalities if they are free range. I can maybe see if they were from the factory type birds.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm talking about the regular factory ones. The fertile ones are a whole other story. I'm sorry for the confusion, but I usually take "grocery store eggs" as the factory eggs. Not the special ones.

Back
Top Bottom