Hachability of older chickens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by [email protected], Jan 4, 2012.

1. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    What is the oldest chickens can be and still hatch eggs or have them hatched by an incubator?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You said 'oldest chicken' - Do you mean how old the eggs or the breeders?

3. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    The chickens, im trying to find out what is the oldest my chickens can be and still have their eggs hatched. not sure if its worth getting an incubator over.

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    [​IMG] Hopefully someone will know. I would think that if they are still laying you would get at least 50% viable even with older birds, but that is just a guess.

5. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:X2

6. guard278th

guard278th Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Rogersville Tn
    How old is your rooster, he will be the one to worry about if the hens are laying then the eggs will be Ok as long as your rooster is still fertile

7. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    Not sure the exact age some where between 5-7 years their all the same age, (one roster 8 hens). we cracked an egg a couple of weeks back and seen the black fertile dot, not sure if that means the will hatch for sure or not under the right conditions...

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Hens can be older than 10 years of age and still produce eggs that hatch. Number of will be reduced and hatch rate for older hens will be reduced. Chicks hatching for such old hens and older roosters as well do not seem to be on average as vigerous as those coming from a younger parent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by