Had 4 chickens for 3 weeks and no eggs yet !

chick4chooks

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2015

Hi there im new to the chicken world. My first question is what breed are these chickens please ? and my second question is i had been given 4 chickens (2 x 6-7 month olds and 2 x 12-13 month olds and i have been told that they should lay 1-2 weeks after being introduced to there new coup and land. I felt stink having them stuck in a coup for 5 days and decided to let them go free range ( not laying still ) then the neighbour came over and said do not let them free range untill they lay an egg first. They were free range before i got them. They started to roost in the trees and got told they will attract rats etc laying eggs everywhere. I feed them laying pallets and scraps sweet corn egg shells and oyster grit ans have put a golf ball in nests to encourage them to lay eggs. 3 weeks later still no show of eggs. Any suggestions pleeeeze. My toddlers are getting impatient lol

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You can post them in the What Breed/Gender forum for help with figuring out what you have, good clear individual pictures of your birds will help https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this It is not unusual for birds to quit laying for a couple of weeks or a month or more, also if they had not been laying in their old home, they may not have started up yet this year / spring. Were they sure about the ages of the birds? The birds in that photo don't look that mature / ready to lay. That red on the shoulders of the bird on the right is an odd color for a pullet.

Usually a bird marked like that (red shoulders) is a cockerel. To really identify gender/breed, you need clear pictures of the individual birds - good front view showing combs, and standing side view to check for hackle feathers, etc. If you post at "what breed or gender is this," please note the age of bird at the time of photo. This allows for more accurate opinions.

Turkenstein25pizapw1428245202.jpg

Back
Top Bottom