Had out first mating tonight!

Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Songster
8 Years
May 19, 2011
North Texas
Went out to see if the crew were ready to go to bed, the youngest 5 were on their shelf already. The older 10 were still out in the yard at 8:10 pm. They were all at the side of the fence watching me (looking for treats), when Owl our Roo GLW, let out a cock a doodle doo, pecked Fiesta or Baby Girl BR on the back of the head/neck area(too dark to see her beak marking).
Mounted her, she squatted, he did the tail thing, jumped off, she fluffed, he did the wing flap, and it was over in about 10 seconds.

Baby Girl & Fiesta both have red combs & waddles, Queen Bee is still pale red & waddle is small (all are BR).
On their tail feathers, both girls have a part or notch that separates each side, is this so Owl has better access to "Lady Land".

So if Owl is now mounting and if he is mature, and if the two BR girls are mature, how long should it be till I see an eggie?

When I got them May 18th, they were two weeks old. Wednesday they will be 17 weeks, seems a bit young to me, could they just be practicing.
love.gif
lol

These are my first chickens, so I am learning as I go.

My BO who are the same age, are just now getting their waddles, everything is very pale pink, so I know they are nowhere near maturity. And the 5 youngest are 15 & 13 weeks, they are still skinny little runts.

Nest box has been in, just need to get fresh hay in there & some of hubby's golf balls.

It will not be long if the hens are squatting within a week or two. (Doesn't matter if the rooster is fertile or not.)

Roosters tend to mature faster than hens, so I would say "yes". However, it is not a good idea to try and hatch pullet eggs, they usually create smaller weaker chicks. Wait a few months before attempting a hatch.

Back
Top Bottom