Had to euthanize my ducky...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Quacky Queen, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Quacky Queen

Quacky Queen New Egg

Aug 18, 2016
    My ducks got attacked by a weasel earlier in the month. One of them was hurt pretty bad with a neck injury and maybe a stroke.

I had been hand-feeding her and giving her swimmy time. I had to sit next to her in the pool as she couldn't stand up.

The attack happened on 8/8 and I kept hoping she would show some improvement but she seemed to slowly be going downhill.

Monday morning I got up to check on her and she somehow got her head stuck between her food and water dishes and was thrashing around. She probably caused further damage as when I tried to feed her, her head just fell completely forwards and she didn't even try to eat or drink.

I was very depressed about this and went to work. A co-worker had a friend who worked at a vet's office. They normally don't see ducks or farm animals but they were able to euthanize her for me as a special favor. I really appreciated it as I didn't know what I was going to do.

I think I made the right choice as she was going to slowly starve to death if she wasn't able to eat.

2. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    sorry for your loss[​IMG]sounds like you did the right thing

3. purslanegarden

purslanegarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2016
    Sorry to hear it. I had some bird pets that recovered from animal attacks and some that didn't. One of my favorite quail as a kid, died to a cat attack. We scared the cat enough that he dropped the quail. Quail was still alive and could sit so we helped him as much as we could, but he died overnight. This is one of the reasons I have never been a cat person.

I've also had some handicapped birds that I tried to help along so that they didn't have to die earlier than they needed to. However, in a similar case that you described, I went to check her one day and her head had fallen into the water tray and she could not get out of it. It was a sad way to go, knowing that she still be OK if not for having that water tray right at that spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by