Had to get rid of chickens instead of wife. Quails?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jps37033, Aug 18, 2014.

1. jps37033

jps37033 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    West TN
    I have built an extensive coop and run over the years. I love to keep chickens but couldn't bare to keep the big birds pinned up. I always love to see them roam the yard and feed on healthy stuff. I finally grew tired of the wifes nagging about the chickens in her flower bed or on the porch (new House) so I sold all chickens. We only used them for eggs.

My question is this, should I get into turkeys or quail that I can keep pinned up for meat?

My coop is 12x14 enclosed (fully enclosed with metal, hay on floors, beds, roost poles, etc) with 16 nesting boxes for chicken sized birds, an 8x12 run enclosed with small chicken wire, and I added on another 22x6 run enclosed by chicken wire recently.

Which bird would you go with? How many quail/turkey can I house? I have an incubator and want to use it also.

I have no clue what to feed newly hatched turkey or quail or either one when they are adult sized.

I am leaning towards quail, but not sure?

Any help please.....

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  2. shotgunrem14

shotgunrem14 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    Alabama
    If you are wanting something for meat and eggs then I would go with quail personally. The measurements you gave on your coop/run should give them plenty of room considering there small size. They start laying at 6 weeks and reach butcher weight/size at 8 weeks. I myself started with the Texas A&M's this year and I absolutely love it. They are the easiest animals to take care of that I own. I feed mine regular old chick starter until they are 6-8 weeks and then I put them on Game Bird Breeder after that.

As far as how many quail you can house. I believe the minimum on quail is 1 sq ft per bird.

1 person likes this.
  3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

You should sterilize the soil before putting quail in a pen that contained chickens. Chickens carry several diseases that they are resistant to but are fatal to quail.

If you're new to quail A&Ms are a headache because they don't autosex, you have to vent sex or wait till they crow/lay an egg. I'd suggest pharaoh coturnix.

4. shotgunrem14

shotgunrem14 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    Alabama
    I do the vent sexing method

5. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by