Had to give up roo, I think my hen is heartbroken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NHchicks, Jul 19, 2010.

1. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    This guy was just crowing too much - constantly, morning, noon, night, didn't matter. For the sake of the neighbors (no one really complained, but who doesn't like to sleep once in a while) and my own nerves I gave him away. The feed store ended up giving him to a customer who needed an "aggressive" rooster to protect a flock. (I don't think he was aggressive at all, but maybe they did for some reason.) He was extremely sweet, and the hen in this picture was his favorite. Now that he's gone, it seems she looks for him. Could that be? We miss him, and I don't know if I'll ever find a rooster as nice as him. Have some of his chicks growing up here, but none that are as handsome as him, and none with his beautiful white tail feathers. Sigh.

(Where do the white tail feathers come from?)

[​IMG]

2. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    at least you got your peace back

3. I had a rooster (still with us) that was devastated when his hen was killed by a hawk.
    I coule not believe that a bird would mourn a mate, but I swear he did.

These days he has a little bantam hen he runs with and seems pretty happy.
    I really did think that I was going to lose the little guy. He even got pretty poor and would just sit and roost the day away.

I am glad he is better, he is a gorgeous little roo.

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I think she will get over it. I suspect that a lot of the "mourning" is coming from you and not so much your hen. That was a very pretty roo, I know you hated to give him up but it sounds like it was for the best. I have had birds seem to miss other birds who have been taken by preditors but it normally didn't last long.

I have always thought that it was in my head but sometimes I really dont know. I know that certain birds really do hang together like they have some sort of bond. It can make it hard to cull a bird at times when you see that they have bonds like that with other birds. At least your roo is still alive! You gave him a chance to live out a happy life at another good home where his antics won't bother anyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by