had to join cause I LOVE this site as well as the magazine

Bantygals momma

Hatching
May 10, 2015
I have been in the "CHICKEN" business lol for about 15 years. Several times I had a flock of 150 layers for about 3 years with an egg business to match and then gradually sold them as stewing hens. After this last time I moved to a different area and took a few years off but definitely missed being a chicken momma!

I have a small flock now of differing breeds from (females) 2 tophats, 2 turkens, 4 americaunas and 4 barred rock hens to a barred rock rooster who is 2 this year and worth his weight in gold he takes such good care of the whole flock. I also have 2 silkie hens and 1 silkie rooster as well as 4 Japanese Buff Banty Hens with 1 Japanese Buff Rooster and 5 Mille Fleur hens with 1 Mille Fleur rooster.

I absolutely adore chickens and all the different personalities. One of the silkies can't quite get up on the roost for the night and when I go to tuck them in after dark,(adjust vents, close the small door, etc) she comes by me every night (and makes a big noise about it of course) but I pick her up and put her on the roost. She just waits for me to pick her up LOL!

Gotta love those chickens! :)

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Chickens, like people definitely do have their own distinct personalities. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC!

I enjoyed your silkie story, chickens do have a way of getting our attention, don't they. It would be fun to see some photos of your flocks if you care to share.

Nice to have you join us!

Silkies tend to have their vision obscured by big crests, and beards - which may be why she doesn't roost on her own. If you don't plan to show her, you could carefully cut back some of her feathers so she can see. It would be interesting to know if she goes to roost on her own after a feather trim. If not, I think she enjoys having you pick her up and do it. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Back
Top Bottom