Had to move a broody hen Question!

AhBee01

Songster
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
yo. ohio
I had to move my broody hen, all the girls we trying to lay in her nest, so I waited a few days to make sure she will stay and yesterday there were broken eggs and they ate some!
The real eggs were only in there 2 days so not much development I'm sure.
We moved her late last night and she went right to work and made her own nest.
I have her alone in our brooder box. My question is, it is still pretty cold, so we have to keep all the doors/windows shut, which makes it dark in there day and night. will that be ok, or should I put some king of little lighting in there for her. I will open the door for her to get light when it is warmer but is too much darkness bad?
We never had one go broody this early! Today it is 42. Not going to get any colder so they say!
Here in Ohio it can snow even at the end of April!!!
TIA
Brenda

I was wondering the same thing. I tried to set up my broody in a small windowless ante-room off the main chicken area of the barn. She wasn't too keen on it, and snuck back into the main area where she is sitting on the main nest. I'm going to try to secure the "brooder room" better and try again tonight.

Good luck!

Thanks! Mine is in a separate barn, so she can't get bacck! I just dodn't want her to suffer any ill affects from being in the dark!
Brenda

I wouldn't think she would get up too eat etc. unless there was some light at least part of the time, would she?

That is what I was wondering?
Maybe I can find a piece of plexiglass to put in the window.
If not some clear plastic. I want her to be happy!
It's just too cold to leave the window/door open! It has hardware cloth screen but it faces the weather!

There is enough air and ventilation. I will find something that leaves the light in and not the cold. If I kept the one window open it would blow cold air right on her!
Thanks
Brenda

Back
Top Bottom