had to separate my bantams

Sandrachx

Songster
13 Years
Oct 16, 2007
Chelsea, MI
i tried for 3 weeks to mix my inherited bantam cochins with my standards. though they now have a quieter "peace" in the coop, it has come at a cost - my poor frizzle has no feathers on her head and her wing feathers do not exist which i did not see until last night when i caught her to calm her. so last night i moved the 4 bantams to a pen on the other side of the yard away from the standards.

question: i have 4 three-week-old silkie bantams in my garage brooder and will be giving them a fenced portion of the standard's run with their own coop attached when they are old enough to be put outside. if i put the silkies iby themselves n the bantam coop/pen, can i then move adult the bantam cochins in with them or will i have the same problem of the bullying between the bantams?

how do you all do it when transitioning new chicks with existing chickens?!? as cute as the chicks are to have and watch grow, as much as i love bantam cochins and their courage, i am feeling like a chicken failure in this area and don't know that i will do this again.

I have bantam cochins in w/ my standards. The feather pulling goes on for a while. There was never any blood, and the feathers grew back. I just let them do what they do. The cochins didn't seem scared or depressed at all, so I wasn't too worried. They all get along fine now.

Back
Top Bottom