Had to share...

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
This is why I love Muscovies... the puppy dogs of duck breeds.
love.gif

4ub7g3.jpg

(My three 5wk old boys posing for their CL picture)

Right after this picture the one on the far end came up on the porch and jumped up on a crate behind me and laid down while i cleaned the brooder. it's gonna be sad to see them go but my fingers are crossed for good homes!
smile.png

They sure are gorgeous. Muscovies are awesome, I've never been a fan of the very true asiatic looking ones, but was surprised a few years ago when I was given some babies for my daughter and later found out they were muscovies (as they got their red faces) - absolutely adored them. But my neighbor's dog wound up killing all my ducks that year - 1 male 3 females within a couple days before I could get them up shelter after the 1st one went missng. You want to talk about mad!

But yeah my muscovy hen now, was an adult when I got her, but considering how badly she'd been raised before hand (raised/kept in a dog kennel from 6 months - 10 months- when i got her) I was surprised how easy she is to get along with, she isn't the put your hands on anytime kinda duck, but she loves for you to talk to her, and she never has bitten or even hissed at me when I am trying to check out her eggs. I'm starting to suspect she's sitting on duds I'd thought they'd start hatching by now though I'm not sure precisely when she started sitting on them, but I'll give it another week then shoo her off the next sometime and candle the eggs to check things out. I think she's fried them still sitting on them all the time in that wood box in 90 degree weather.

I got 5 girls for Christmas(this last x-mas) and they came from a farm where we had just a couple weeks before bougth 2 hens. i was really depressed not having enough money to buy more at the time because they were stuck in a 6' x 6' dog kennel with no food, water, roof, walls in freezing weather. I took the 2 girls that followed me the most around the kennel wall that day.

My sister went back without me the next day and bought 5 more hens from the same group. there was dead ones in the pen with them when she got there and the woman didn't even care. She still refused to lower the price my sister said. she hid the 5 girls at my moms house for almost a month before i got them. It was amazing what a change there was in their weight/appearance & personality in that time! one of the first ones i got would sit on my shoulder, she was so sweet. the others warmed up but still didn't care much for being touched or picked up a lot.

It's amazing what lots of love can do for an animal
smile.png

Quote:

aweeee bleenie! that has got to be one of the cutest pics!!! i know what you mean about puppy dogs! my drake follows me around like a little puppy
love.gif
and out of my 3 ducklings the only one who will sit and cuddle with me is my scovy
love.gif
soooooo cute!!

They are such cute little boys! I am glad that you and your family where able to rescue those hens, how awful! I don't understand that mentality at all.

Quote:
that woman was so gross. we reported her to animal control immediately and again after my sister found out there was dead ones. I also called a local news station about it too(they didnt bother with it tho). thankfully her whole place is free of poultry now, there's only some llamas on a back pasture. The worst parts were that she was right on a VERY main road & she Told us that she couldnt afford to feed them but still refused to lower her prices!

She had everything from turkeys - chickens - ducks - exotic geese & even a pasture for Giant Maremma(sp?) LGDogs!! they looked terrible! with all that matted hair. She wouldnt even give away the crippled chickens/turkeys.

(we were totally plotting on how to get some of the animals out of there..not legally of course, lol)

Back
Top Bottom