Had to switch feeds, are my chicks gonna die????

cjeanean

Can't Decide
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Missouri
Okay, I had to switch from Purina Start/Grow which says to feed until 20 wks to the Orscheln brand chick starter/grower, which says to feed for only 6 wks. I know it's not recommended to switch feeds, but all I'm worried about is whether or not my chicks are gonna die, get horribly sick, or have future health complications from switching feeds. Help????

I'm also confused about the time table for feeding.....purina says 20 wks, Orscheln says 6 wks....what do I do?? I know I can't switch them to layer feed at just 6wks, and some of my flock are boys that aren't gonna be laying, which can't be good for their manliness
smile.png
lau.gif
j/k....is it okay to keep feeding them the medicated chick starter till 20 wks???? (they're right about 6 wks right now....)

Keeping a close eye on the peeps to make sure they are eating the new feed is all you need to watch for. If all the peeps accept the new feed, then their isn't anything to worry about.

I'm not sure why they only recommend to feed for 6 weeks. Most starters/growers are fine til the point of laying.

bigzio

That one is recommended for six weeks because it is only a starter, not a starter/grower. It probably has a higher protein level, too. After six weeks you would switch to a plain grower OR a starter/grower type feed if you could not find plain grower. At least that's what they intend by saying feed it till six weeks old. You could, I suppose, feed it till laying age with no ill effects. You definitely do not want layer feed at six weeks old. If it only contains Amprolium, yes, you can feed it right up till laying age, no withdrawal time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom