Haematoma on 4 day old chick

ashem0

Chirping
6 Years
May 12, 2013
Blue Mountains, Australia
I have a 4 day old chick - only one to hatch from 6. I'm a little concerned about what I believe to be a haematoma, and wondering if I should do anything with it?

It basically has a loose ball above its right wing next to its neck. You cannot see it except when you pick it up you can feel it. It's below the surface of the skin but is detached from the body, so appears to be fully cylindrical. I think it is fluid filled.

Any suggestions on treatment or what it would be?

Our chickie 'Disco' is still going strong, despite the lump growing. I have posted some pictures in the hope someone might have some suggestions? I'm tempted to try reduce it by draining it, but I've never done anything like that before and Disco actually appears to be distressed by my touching it. The top picture shows the swelling around his/her chest now and the 2nd pic shows where the fluff has worn and I can see through the skin.
hu.gif

This morning I had some suggestions on another post that our chicks problem might be an impacted crop. I believe it was, because yesterday I handled her 'lump' quite allot to get pictures and think I may have moved things along, because today it is entirely gone!
clap.gif

So, anyway alls well that ends well! Just wanted to post this last comment for future reference to anyone else with the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom