Half my flock has gone broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsmaonaigh, Jun 21, 2011.

1. mrsmaonaigh

mrsmaonaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    I am up to my eyeballs in broody hens. This was definitely not something that we had planned for. The broodies have overtaken the brooding boxes and all of the nesting boxes so the laying hens are having trouble finding a spot to lay. This is what I get for wanting a broody! It is a hormonal nightmare out in the yard too because when they all come out to feed/get water they are all puffing up at each other and growling at everyone. Now I know how my husband feels in a house with four girls.

2. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Antarctica
    I hate it when they go broody too. [​IMG]

I suggest you try removing the eggs and replacing them with ice cubes. That should break that habit.

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    I feel your drama as all but a few of my layers are broody. Went out yesterday to find Fifi kicked out of her nest so another could steal her eggs. Fifi's eggs a really close to hatch too.
    So much drama from these silly girls.
    Well, atleast my Silkies just started laying eggs....hope they don't catch the bug cus I'm running outta nest spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by