Half of goose eggs died on the last days

yrtrnc

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 23, 2017
Most of the larger eggs didn't make it. When I weighed them they had lost only 10% or less of their weight on day 28.

My humidity was around 50%. On inspection it seems like they drowned due to too much liquid in egg. All we're fully formed but couldn't make it out of the inner membrane.

My theory is that the eggs couldn't lose enough liquid. Also note that I did not cool or mist the eggs. Seems like misting may help the eggs evaporate fluids somehow.

There may be a protective layer around the egg preventing evaporation of fluids inside the egg. Seems misting and cooling somehow disables the protective layer and helps the egg evaporate it's fluids.

Can anyone confirm this through experience?

Thanks

My experience is with chicken eggs and I work with humidity/ relative humidity in my daily work. Also, trying to bump this for you.

If you think they drowned because of too much fluid, decrease your humidity over your entire hatch, so they can evaporate enough by the time it's time to hatch.

I had a similar problem with chicken eggs (no idea about misting, but anyway). I had regular size eggs mostly, but 1/4 of the eggs were at least 30%+ larger than the others, and I particularly wanted to hatch those. I weighed all the eggs to start and every 5-7 days to see if I was on track with moisture loss. The regular size eggs did great on my humidity levels throughout the hatch, but the larger eggs did not lose enough weight over the entire hatch. I didn't adjust the humidity lower because the regular eggs were doing fine. Only one of the large eggs hatched, and it had an abnormality where its intestines were outside its body, and I couldn't get them to all go back inside, so I had to cull the chick. Next time I set those larger eggs, I'll do a separate hatch for just them, and will adjust my humidity down until the weight loss is correct.

There's a larger amount of water in a larger egg, so you need a lower humidity setting over the entire hatch to evaporate out enough water to get the correct % weight loss by hatch day (or lockdown) than you would for a smaller egg, which has a smaller amount of water that needs to be evaporated out over the same period of time. Does this make sense how I'm explaining it? Also, if you have different permeabilities of the egg shell, and different thicknesses of egg shell the water has to travel through, these will both impact how quickly the water evaporates. Some of this is due to breed, some is due to the individual hen, and the quality/thickness of the bloom and shell she creates.

My experience is with chicken eggs and I work with humidity/ relative humidity in my daily work. Also, trying to bump this for you.

If you think they drowned because of too much fluid, decrease your humidity over your entire hatch, so they can evaporate enough by the time it's time to hatch.

I had a similar problem with chicken eggs (no idea about misting, but anyway). I had regular size eggs mostly, but 1/4 of the eggs were at least 30%+ larger than the others, and I particularly wanted to hatch those. I weighed all the eggs to start and every 5-7 days to see if I was on track with moisture loss. The regular size eggs did great on my humidity levels throughout the hatch, but the larger eggs did not lose enough weight over the entire hatch. I didn't adjust the humidity lower because the regular eggs were doing fine. Only one of the large eggs hatched, and it had an abnormality where its intestines were outside its body, and I couldn't get them to all go back inside, so I had to cull the chick. Next time I set those larger eggs, I'll do a separate hatch for just them, and will adjust my humidity down until the weight loss is correct.

There's a larger amount of water in a larger egg, so you need a lower humidity setting over the entire hatch to evaporate out enough water to get the correct % weight loss by hatch day (or lockdown) than you would for a smaller egg, which has a smaller amount of water that needs to be evaporated out over the same period of time. Does this make sense how I'm explaining it? Also, if you have different permeabilities of the egg shell, and different thicknesses of egg shell the water has to travel through, these will both impact how quickly the water evaporates. Some of this is due to breed, some is due to the individual hen, and the quality/thickness of the bloom and shell she creates.
I see what you're saying. It has occurred to me that they may have been losing fluids at a different rate. But I expected them to lose fluids relative to their size, meaning the larger they are the more fluids they lose. So overall it would be the same percentage.

IMG_20240421_233258.jpg
IMG_20240421_233117.jpg
IMG_20240421_232643.jpg
IMG_20240421_232837.jpg

These are pictures of 4 different eggs that didn't hatch. They all seem to have this yellowish liquid.

Back
Top Bottom