Half of Head Swollen???

Does it feel like air under the skin in her head? A leaking air sac from a bump injury may be possible. If her eyelid is swollen, that could be from a sting affecting the head and eyelid. Is she lethargic or is she acting normally?

So, I took her to the vet this morning as her breathing got worse... Open mouth breathing and more frequent coughing. And she has been even more lethargic, just laying around on her side.

IMG_20220909_104959_01.jpg

The doctor suspected possible avian influenza, but he gave her a test, and it was negative (thank goodness). He said he heard a lot of congestion in her upper and lower respiratory system, so he believes it is pneumonia. However, he did say that the avian flu test isn't 100%, so I should keep s lookout with my other chickies.

He gave her an injection of Excede (antibiotic with anti-inflammatory) at the office, and he gave me azithromycin (antibiotic) and meloxidyl (anti-inflammatory) to give her for the next ten days.

Keep your fingers crossed for the Noodle.

So, I took her to the vet this morning as her breathing got worse... Open mouth breathing and more frequent coughing. And she has been even more lethargic, just laying around on her side.

View attachment 3254215

The doctor suspected possible avian influenza, but he gave her a test, and it was negative (thank goodness). He said he heard a lot of congestion in her upper and lower respiratory system, so he believes it is pneumonia. However, he did say that the avian flu test isn't 100%, so I should keep s lookout with my other chickies.

He gave her an injection of Excede (antibiotic with anti-inflammatory) at the office, and he gave me azithromycin (antibiotic) and meloxidyl (anti-inflammatory) to give her for the next ten days.

Keep your fingers crossed for the Noodle.
Aw bittersweet. I’m sorry she is worse, but glad you’re able to get care for her and glad the test was negative. Prayers for your baby ❤️❤️❤️

Sadly, Noodle passed away last night. Lesson learned: if you see anything that could be swelling (like the lump i saw on her head or the bulging eye), get right to the vet for antibiotics because it's probably a sign of congestion.

Thank you everyone for your support. We have such a nice community here.
Aw no. I am so sorry. You did everything you could for her and gave her a life full of love and joy. Sending prayers your way.

When you moved her did you do an integration period or just throw her in with the rooster and older hen? She may have been attacked.

Back
Top Bottom