Half of the top beak broke off

RugratWrangler

Hatching
Jun 14, 2021
We rescued our neighbors hen from a coyote yesterday. I think she’ll survive the injuries to her back but I’m worried about her beak. The top half of her beak broke off. I’ve been feeding her wet food by hand and giving her water with a syringe. I don’t think she can eat or drink on her own since the bottom part is so long. Should I trim the bottom beak? If so, with what? If it will grow back about how long does it take? She is in my garage in a pen. She hasn’t moved since we put her in there yesterday. She did try to peck at the wet food when I sat it in front of her but with the bottom beak so long she wasn’t able to pick any up. Thank you for any guidance.

Attachments

• 03F21FDF-B948-4C5E-81EF-AA6F18C3F1D5.jpeg
    03F21FDF-B948-4C5E-81EF-AA6F18C3F1D5.jpeg
    479.2 KB · Views: 104
  • BE6AB737-AF85-4140-B870-6BC4AC328A66.jpeg
    BE6AB737-AF85-4140-B870-6BC4AC328A66.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 460578AC-8A18-4AE4-A400-89CEE07632F1.jpeg
    460578AC-8A18-4AE4-A400-89CEE07632F1.jpeg
    539.3 KB · Views: 54
We rescued our neighbors hen from a coyote yesterday. I think she’ll survive the injuries to her back but I’m worried about her beak. The top half of her beak broke off. I’ve been feeding her wet food by hand and giving her water with a syringe. I don’t think she can eat or drink on her own since the bottom part is so long. Should I trim the bottom beak? If so, with what? If it will grow back about how long does it take? She is in my garage in a pen. She hasn’t moved since we put her in there yesterday. She did try to peck at the wet food when I sat it in front of her but with the bottom beak so long she wasn’t able to pick any up. Thank you for any guidance.
Beaks can't grow back unfortunately. I agree you should also trim the bottom beak so she can eat again

Battery hens often times have their top beak trimmed. They are still able to eat. Trying to make the top and bottom the same length is really going to hurt. Just trim a very little bit off the bottom.

If she can’t eat that good put warm water on her pellets so it will be a softer consistency for her to eat. You can trim the beak but I don’t think you should make it the same length as her top one, just trim it a little. I’m not experienced with this though.

Battery hens often times have their top beak trimmed. They are still able to eat. Trying to make the top and bottom the same length is really going to hurt. Just trim a very little bit off the bottom.
I agree, I would trim the bottom just a little.

Make sure the wet feed is fairly deep in the dish. She should learn to scoop the feed.
If it was just broken, then likely she's very tender and will need to be hand fed for a bit, but do encourage her to try to eat and drink on her own.

As far as I know beaks are constantly growing. As long as the underlying tissue wasn't damaged it should grow back. The reason 'debeaked' chickens don't grow their tips back is because of the cauterization that they do after clipping them. However, it's a good idea to keep her on soft food until (if) it does.

Back
Top Bottom