Halfway zipped then died

New2Ducks2023

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2023
I’m currently incubating/hatching some khaki Campbell/welsh harlequins. This is my first time working with this breed. I had one egg zip 3/4 of the way then stop. I gave it some time, then assisted, and the duckling had passed. This was day 25, we went on lockdown yesterday because I had noticed eggs starting to pip. Just wondering what could’ve caused this? Should I have intervened sooner?

Last edited:
I honestly haven’t lost one that started to zip then quit
Day 25 is pretty early to start hatching
Have you calibrated a hygrometer and thermometer for inside the bator
Although a school I let hatch did hatch one day 25 and the rest day 26
We were calibrated but she brought the set up home that weekend as it was a long weekend and she was going away. Her daughter wouldn’t be able to get in the school to turn them so she brought it home
Had read the vibration of the car ride may have sped things up
I kept him as part of my flock and he is just over a year old and never had any health issues
So don’t worry to much about them coming early
Do you have the air vents open on the bator ? What was the membrane like when tiger did start to assist ? Was it dry and stuck ?

Sounds way too early for it to have been hatching. What temperature is your brooder at? Humidity? Do you have an independent thermometer and hydrometer to confirm these temps?
The temperature was between 99-100. I had a hard time maintaining humidity but it was usually between 55-65. I did have an independent hygrometer in the incubator as well. Although, I do agree it seemed early to hatch, there was one duckling that hatched before the one that passed.

I honestly haven’t lost one that started to zip then quit
Day 25 is pretty early to start hatching
Have you calibrated a hygrometer and thermometer for inside the bator
Although a school I let hatch did hatch one day 25 and the rest day 26
We were calibrated but she brought the set up home that weekend as it was a long weekend and she was going away. Her daughter wouldn’t be able to get in the school to turn them so she brought it home
Had read the vibration of the car ride may have sped things up
I kept him as part of my flock and he is just over a year old and never had any health issues
So don’t worry to much about them coming early
Do you have the air vents open on the bator ? What was the membrane like when tiger did start to assist ? Was it dry and stuck ?
The outside of the membrane was starting to look dry but, after assisting, nothing was stuck. I have a hygrometer inside the incubator that measures temp and humidity, although I have not calibrated it recently. I’m on day 26 and 6 of 12 have already hatched…7 if you include the one that passed.

The outside of the membrane was starting to look dry but, after assisting, nothing was stuck. I have a hygrometer inside the incubator that measures temp and humidity, although I have not calibrated it recently. I’m on day 26 and 6 of 12 have already hatched…7 if you include the one that passed.
If it’s forced air the temp was to high and that little bit can speed things up
On that note they should be just fine
Maybe something wrong with the little one that you couldn’t see
I run 99.6-99.8 tops and humidity I like to keep at 45 for incubating

If it’s forced air the temp was to high and that little bit can speed things up
On that note they should be just fine
Maybe something wrong with the little one that you couldn’t see
I run 99.6-99.8 tops and humidity I like to keep at 45 for incubating
I’m still pretty new to this….how do I know if the incubator is forced air? There is a fan with ventilation slots on the inside but nothing that I can open and close. I find my biggest difficulty is maintaining a proper humidity level.

I’m still pretty new to this….how do I know if the incubator is forced air? There is a fan with ventilation slots on the inside but nothing that I can open and close. I find my biggest difficulty is maintaining a proper humidity level.
With a fan it should be forced air
Still air doesn’t have fans
Vents should be able to open
What kind of bator do you have
Maybe somebody on here can help that’s familiar with them

Back
Top Bottom