HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long 2016 w/ Hosts, Mike, Sally & BantyChooks

I got drenched this morning. Started dumping the minute I left the house.
Yup.... and the storm cycle hasn't really even begun yet. The latest report I heard said the chance we'll get hit by the big one Saturday have gone up. SO glad I convinced hubby we needed to take down all the trees that could hit the house. Sometimes he does listen to me!
tongue.png

On another note I'm having the damnedest time trying to keep humidity up. It dipped substantially after i put the new sponge in. Water trays in the hatcher are full, I have two sopping wet sponges in there and it's still only reading at barely 60% I believe it cause there is hardly any condensation on the viewing window. I had two external pips while I was outside and I really don't want them to get shrink wrapped. I have tubing to put water in but at this point everything is full and water is coming out the bottom pin hole vents.
I think at this time my only option is to open it up and put more sponges in then assist as need be if they still end up shrink wraped

Your hygrometer could be inaccurate...? I have two in mine and average between them... three in one of my incubators. I put a sponge in and that one says 94%...I highly doubt that lol

@BantyChooks for ntotes Great job!!! :highfive:
I am totally adding that!! If I had known that a few months ago I could have saved myself a whole lotta heartbreak....
Here's my rooster. He's 1/2 Easter Egger, 1/4 Polish, and 1/4 Barred Rock. Phoenix
What an unusual roo! I've never seen a barred beard like that! Very cool! Okay so the baby is still alive in the egg. Yes it looks like yolk I suppose it could be just sticky goop but it really is quite a bright yellow although dingy as it's dry. The shape over the top of the chick is almost a perfect yolk shape bit split right in half. Perhaps the membrane but it's big and thick and ever so yellow. I've dealt with many sticky chicks so that wouldn't really worry me. Especially as it was a big egg although still the smallest crested barred rock egg that was sent. The other two one quit and one either never started or quit very very early. Anyway still fighting for it. I'm not sure how much attention I should pay to the blood vessels on the side walls. Again there is no membrane over the chick whatsoever it's so odd! It also seems to have two membranes around the rest of the chick. That's right I know it sounds nuts but when cleaning up the very very goopy pip hole that is what stood out to me. As the chick struggled after cleaning the pip hole it did bleed a little bit but hardly anything. This baby is going to need some massive cleaning if and when it makes it out of there. In other news we lost one or two cockerals that were headed to the freezer last night to a predator. No idea what but I guess we'll be sitting out again. Hopefully we'll get the awful thing(s). This makes 21-22 birds this year to date to predators. Ugh. We can't even be sure if it was one or two birds as there were two piles of feathers but the bird we believe taken was an EE and had more than one feather color and pattern. I guess the run we've been putting them in to be ready for processing is now out of the question overnight. Will keep everyone up to date and try to post pictures tonight. Again the chick that pipped wrong was in an egg that the air cell was loose and never looked quite right. It wasn't saddled but as I opened the air cell end to try and get an idea of what I was dealing with I opened the shell and found a tiny air cell with a membrane below it. I opened the membrane and found another air cell with a thick membrane below it. I opened that and found the chick. The was no membrane below the second containing veins or anything that I was able to discern. Such an odd egg. Okay more later. Thanks guys for all the support.

What an unusual roo! I've never seen a barred beard like that! Very cool!

Okay so the baby is still alive in the egg. Yes it looks like yolk I suppose it could be just sticky goop but it really is quite a bright yellow although dingy as it's dry. The shape over the top of the chick is almost a perfect yolk shape bit split right in half. Perhaps the membrane but it's big and thick and ever so yellow. I've dealt with many sticky chicks so that wouldn't really worry me. Especially as it was a big egg although still the smallest crested barred rock egg that was sent. The other two one quit and one either never started or quit very very early.

Anyway still fighting for it. I'm not sure how much attention I should pay to the blood vessels on the side walls. Again there is no membrane over the chick whatsoever it's so odd! It also seems to have two membranes around the rest of the chick. That's right I know it sounds nuts but when cleaning up the very very goopy pip hole that is what stood out to me. As the chick struggled after cleaning the pip hole it did bleed a little bit but hardly anything. This baby is going to need some massive cleaning if and when it makes it out of there.

In other news we lost one or two cockerals that were headed to the freezer last night to a predator. No idea what but I guess we'll be sitting out again. Hopefully we'll get the awful thing(s). This makes 21-22 birds this year to date to predators. Ugh.

We can't even be sure if it was one or two birds as there were two piles of feathers but the bird we believe taken was an EE and had more than one feather color and pattern. I guess the run we've been putting them in to be ready for processing is now out of the question overnight.

Will keep everyone up to date and try to post pictures tonight. Again the chick that pipped wrong was in an egg that the air cell was loose and never looked quite right. It wasn't saddled but as I opened the air cell end to try and get an idea of what I was dealing with I opened the shell and found a tiny air cell with a membrane below it. I opened the membrane and found another air cell with a thick membrane below it. I opened that and found the chick. The was no membrane below the second containing veins or anything that I was able to discern.

Such an odd egg. Okay more later. Thanks guys for all the support.
Can I recommend a livestock guardian dog that sleeps outside with your birds? That's what ours does. We haven't lost a bird, or a cat, to a predator yet. (And, i'd be okay losing a couple of my nasty barn cats who keep trying to kill my chicks)

Last edited:
I just went through two instances with 2 separate chicks that correspond directly to your issue. This is what happened and what I did. (I'll try to not write a novel) :cool: CHICK #2 Was a breech chick. Super strong with the will to live. It was shrink wrapped but had internally pipped. I left it a long time because I was out combining and wasn't in the house to attend. Which is why it was probably shrink wrapped because I missed the drop and didn't get water added. I opened the large end to confirm diagnosis. Arteries still had blood at that time so I used a Q-tip to moisten the membrane. Put him in my container in the incubator making sure his pip was up. Added a wet paper towel in the container and covered it with a sandwich baggie to keep moisture in. Pics below. Opened at the end. (see the beak) Magnification of the internal pip Waiting for the blood vessels to shrink Once the blood vessels were shrunken I carefully peeled the shell and membrane from the chick. I left the wet chick to dry in the container in the incubator. When he was half dry I discovered a small amount of intestine had popped out...presumably from his navel? If I remember correctly, I left the chick to sleep for a bit with the intestine out while I got my tools together. This allowed the yolk sac to shrink a bit as the chick absorbed it to give more room to replace the intestine. I had previous experience with intestines on chick #1 and this is why I choose to wait before replacing anything. Peeling the shell and then membrane off carefully Left to dry The chick's intestine Intestine replaced. I cut a bandaid in half, lengthwise so I could make an X bandage. I used an X bandage on CHICK #1 and found this works really well. X bandage keeping wound covered Top view of X bandage on CHICK #1 CHICK #1 Chick #1 was breech in an egg that was under a new broody mom. She had pecked a chick earlier but I left the egg thinking it was safe.:rolleyes: She pecked the egg prematurely, broke the yolk sac and made a hole in the chicks abdomen. It was impossible to tell anything from the mess of sticky yolk and blood the chick was in. I "thought" the chick only had the yolk sac sticking out so I used a bandaid and bandaged the bum/yolk sac area so the chick could absorb any remaining yolk overnight. I placed the chick in a small container (as previously shown with Chick #2) and left the chick overnight. I made the X bandage the next day because I wanted to clean the chick up and see how the yolk sac was doing. I was worried it wouldn't be able to poop with the bandaid I had used. The X bandage covers a wound/escaping intestines securely but still allows the chick to poop. :woot It was then I became aware of the perforation of the chick's abdomen and that it was a loop of intestine hanging out of CHICK #1. The bandaid kept the intestine moist enough. (And this is why I chose to wait with CHICK #2 before replacing things) Caught off guard I carefully replaced the intestine with round end tweezers that were NOT sterilized. I also felt I couldn't clean the chick up because of the perforation in the abdomen. So the intestine was carefully replaced as is. The small amount of tissue from the yolk sac was dried and I carefully removed anything that looked safe to remove. After the hole was healed and the chick got a bath. No sign of damage after the chick was fluffed out. Chick #1 on the left. She's now the bigger of the chicks. Chick #2 was healed in two days and the X bandaid was taken off. I gave no antibiotics because I felt the container, and paper towels etc were clean and the intestine was not damaged or dirtied. Chick #1 was given antibiotics; a water soluble powder consisting of Tetracycline HCL and Neomycin sulfate. It was impossible to measure in a per chick amount because the powder is meant to be mixed in large amounts. I guessed at the tiny fraction amount of powder on my 1/8 tsp measure spoon and got the chick to drink the concoction throughout the day. This chick was left in with the other chicks and I couldn't treat the water. I gave the chick the antibiotic for 6 days, one day extra than I planned. I had read threads on here about peritonitis and decided on this antibiotic from posted material from Casportpony. @casportpony :thumbsup I kept the X bandage on for 3 days. Bathed and cleaned the chick up on the 3rd day as well. Both chicks did healed quickly with no sign of damage. Both did exceptionally well and never missed a beat. I thought I'd lose chick #1 to peritonitis for sure. I'm still quite tickled AND pleasantly surprised they both made it. If your chick has the will to live it certainly can make it. :thumbsup Please ask any questions if you have any. I hope I didn't miss anything and was clear (It is 3:40 am here...lol!)
I am in awe of your skills, you did an amazing job...

Okay so the baby is still alive in the egg. Yes it looks like yolk I suppose it could be just sticky goop but it really is quite a bright yellow although dingy as it's dry. The shape over the top of the chick is almost a perfect yolk shape bit split right in half. Perhaps the membrane but it's big and thick and ever so yellow. I've dealt with many sticky chicks so that wouldn't really worry me. Especially as it was a big egg although still the smallest crested barred rock egg that was sent. The other two one quit and one either never started or quit very very early.
so its malpositioned and the yolk is up at the top at the air cell? pics woman pics!!

Anyway still fighting for it. I'm not sure how much attention I should pay to the blood vessels on the side walls. Again there is no membrane over the chick whatsoever it's so odd! It also seems to have two membranes around the rest of the chick. That's right I know it sounds nuts but when cleaning up the very very goopy pip hole that is what stood out to me. As the chick struggled after cleaning the pip hole it did bleed a little bit but hardly anything. This baby is going to need some massive cleaning if and when it makes it out of there.

In other news we lost one or two cockerals that were headed to the freezer last night to a predator. No idea what but I guess we'll be sitting out again. Hopefully we'll get the awful thing(s). This makes 21-22 birds this year to date to predators. Ugh.

We can't even be sure if it was one or two birds as there were two piles of feathers but the bird we believe taken was an EE and had more than one feather color and pattern. I guess the run we've been putting them in to be ready for processing is now out of the question overnight.

Will keep everyone up to date and try to post pictures tonight. Again the chick that pipped wrong was in an egg that the air cell was loose and never looked quite right. It wasn't saddled but as I opened the air cell end to try and get an idea of what I was dealing with I opened the shell and found a tiny air cell with a membrane below it. I opened the membrane and found another air cell with a thick membrane below it. I opened that and found the chick. The was no membrane below the second containing veins or anything that I was able to discern.

Such an odd egg. Okay more later. Thanks guys for all the support.
sorry about the predator

Back
Top Bottom