Halp! I have a 2 week old chick who is a little "off". I can't tell if she is sick, or maybe just a

lfwilson

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
I have a two week old chick who just doesn't behave like the rest of the flock. She doesn't seem to socialize with the other chicks. While everyone else is running around and fighting for treats out of my hand, she generally stays in a corner of the brooding box and rests her head in the corner. Generally, she lacks curiosity and spunk. However, she does eat and drink regularly on her own and has the energy to run if she is startled or being bothered by other another chicken. But, she spends most of her time either standing alone, or wandering around in an aimless manner.

At first I thought she may be sick. That is still certainly a possibility, but after observing her the last couple of days, I'm beginning to think she may just not be all there mentally. I'm not sure how to tell and what steps I should take.....I have yet to be able to find a vet in my area who sees chickens. She obviously has some kind of condition. My main concern is that she may be in pain. I'm completely fine with having a special needs chicken, I just want to make sure I'm doing the right things for her.

If anyone has any advice, I would deeply appreciate it!

I'm completely fine with having a special needs chicken, I just want to make sure I'm doing the right things for her.

If she is eating/drinking and the other chicks aren't harming/picking on her it sounds like you are doing everything possible. I seriously doubt if there is a guide for raising special needs chicks with mental challenges so it sounds like you are doing great.

I have the same situation except that the other chicks began to peck at her so we have isolated her and ordered a short bus just in case. She eats and drinks and poos but her size is a third of the other chicks. Her feathers appear to be abnormal as well. I think we just have a special needs chick and not sure if there is anything to do but keep her isolated from the others and keep her with food and water.

I have the same situation except that the other chicks began to peck at her so we have isolated her and ordered a short bus just in case. She eats and drinks and poos but her size is a third of the other chicks. Her feathers appear to be abnormal as well. I think we just have a special needs chick and not sure if there is anything to do but keep her isolated from the others and keep her with food and water.
Some chicks are just unthrifty and small, often due to internal problems. I have a chick right now that is similar to yours; he was very small and poorly feathered for a while. But now, at about 7 weeks of age, he is as large (if not larger) than the other chicks, and covered in nice feathers. All I did was isolate him to make sure he got enough to eat and drink, and apparently, his body recovered.

In the past, I've had two other runty chicks, too. Both of them died before reaching 3 months of age. Still, you're doing the right thing with your chick, and it may very well grow and become just as healthy as the others. I would recommend getting some chick vitamins/electrolytes, and possibly some probiotics, to put in her water, as those things stimulate better growth/health.

My mom said until you can find a vet, make sure she stays warm, gets fluids, and that can even be dropping eye drops in her eyes, and make sure she gets food and water. Hopefully she gets better and a vet can help you out fully!

Back
Top Bottom