hambuger meat help needed

Quote:
Do you can? Here's the copy-cat Manwich Sauce recipe we make. Could also be frozen instead of canned.
For the OP - you can add ground beef for a prepared meal, just pop open and heat. Although, I prefer to can the sauce without meat and then use it in a variety of recipes like the commercially canned Manwich.

Manwich Sauce

1 gallon peeled, cored, chopped ripe tomatoes
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 cups chopped sweet bell peppers
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup (see note below for substitute)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 cup vinegar
Combine tomatoes and vegetables in a large kettle and cook down for about 30 minutes. Press through a food mill. Cook down until it is reduced to about half in volume. Add remaining ingredients and cook slowly until mixture is the consistency you want (about an hour). Stir more and more frequently as it thickens or it will scorch. Pour hot into hot jars. Process pints 20 minutes in a boiling water bath, quarts 35 minutes

Note: If you do not like to use corn syrup you can substitute
- 1/2 cup honey
- or 1/2 cup water and 2 Tbl sugar

You can add cooked drained ground beef to this and pressure can it. If you add meat, pressure can at 10 lbs, 75 min (pts), 90 min (qts)

If you are into cooking- I just found the most amazing Shepherds Pie on Gordon Ramseys website. Everyone at my house loved it, it is simple, but absolutley the best hamburger dish I ever made. You can google Gordon Ramsey.

Wow, You all are making me hungry. We are only 2 so 20lbs will last a bit and we can always get more
smile.png
I love all the recipes will try them all. Sloppy joes I forgot about till after I made the post. Hubby's eldest brother makes the best sloppies I have ever had, need to get his recipe. He told me but I forgot the special ingredient. Hubby loves hot foods me I can do without. So I will make the mexican and add his hot peppers after I dish mine. Oh that remind me I have a authentic mexican cook book totally forgot I had it as I have never used it. Seems like a good time to open up that real old cookbook. It has been in the family since before I can remember. No, we are not mexican but my father has been there years ago due to his job before he met my mom. Thanks all. this will give me lots of meal plans.
smile.png

If you have space in your freezer, I'd be making some meatballs! Here is my favorite recipe plus some ideas of what to do with frozen meatballs.

Freezer Stash Meatballs
Makes 48 meatballs; 8 servings
• 3 pounds lean ground beef
• 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
• 3 eggs
• 6 tablespoons minced onion
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 400.
In a large bowl, mix beef, crumbs, eggs, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Shape into 11/2-inch meatballs. (A miniature ice cream scoop makes fast work of shaping.) Arrange in two 10-by-15-inch jelly roll pans. Bake in preheated oven until meat is browned, with no trace of pink and juices run clear, 10 to 13 minutes. Drain, let cool to room temperature, divide into thirds and freeze each portion in vapor-moisture proof containers or use in one of following.

Meatball Sandwiches
4-5 meatballs per person
6 hoagie rolls
6 thin slices mozzarella cheese
2 cups prepared spaghetti sauce
Thaw meatballs and heat with sauce over medium until hot. Place meatballs into warmed
rolls. Ladle a small amount of sauce onto each sandwich; place slice of mozzarella onto
each sandwich. Serve warm.

MEATBALL STROGANOFF (5 servings)
• 1 (10 3/4-oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
• 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
• 1 cup mushrooms, sliced and cooked in butter until soft
• 1 family meal-sized portion of freezer meatballs
In medium saucepan, mix together mushroom soup and sour cream. Gently stir in mushrooms and meatballs. Simmer until meatballs are heated through. Serve over hot cooked rice or over egg noodles tossed with melted butter and chopped parsley.

SWEET-N-SOUR MEATBALLS
(5 servings)
• 1 (14-oz) can pineapple tidbits or chunks, not drained
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/4 cup cider vinegar
• 1 teaspoon soy sauce (or more to taste)
• 1 family meal-sized portion of freezer meatballs
• 1 (5-oz) can water chestnuts, drained and thinly sliced
• 1 green pepper, cut in strips
Drain pineapple tidbits, reserving syrup. In medium saucepan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Blend in reserved syrup, water, cider vinegar and soy sauce. Cook and stir over low heat until thick and bubbly. Carefully stir in meatballs, water chestnuts, green pepper strips and pineapple. Heat to boiling and serve over hot cooked rice.

a German recipe. I call it brown sauce, because even when I did remember the name, I couldn't pronounce it. From MIL.
In a large skillet or sauce pan, brown several chopped slices of bacon. Then add a whole lot of chopped onion, lightly salted. 2 or 3. Really brown, keep stirring, until the onion is nice and dark and reduced. Add the pound of hamburger and brown it well. Stir in a hefty squirt of ketchup. In a separate glass, bowl or mug, stir 1-3 tablespoons cornstarch in cold water - the ratio of cornstarch to water is on the package for gravies, and the amount of water varies as to how far I need to stretch this meal. Stir well, stir into bubbling meat mixture, and stir until thickened. Taste for seasonings (salt, pepper, maggi/soy sauce, hot sauce). Add a handful chopped parsley.
Serve over boiled potatoes or noodles. I like to throw in some frozen peas, but that's just for me.

Oh SCORE!!! I would Love to get something like that. Several have listed lots of suggestions, but I don't think anyone has mentioned hamburger stroganoff(sp?) - this is one of my favorites. I also make a fun dinner using a muffin pan. You put a ball of hamburger in each of the muffin cups, then using a tart presser/shaper thing (think that is what they call it) you make a depression in each ball of hamburger so that you have what looks like a muffin with the middle taken out. Boy, I really hope this makes sense. Then you fill each one with a combination of onion, cheese, and whatever else you like(like mushrooms or chopped veggies). After that you take some more hamburger and cover each of the filled hamburger 'muffins'. Bake at like 375 until meat is cooked to desired done-ness. I am sorry if this seems really vague. But it Is fun and yummy. Essentially you are making a stuffed meatball using a muffin pan. Served with mashed potatoes and gravy - Mmmm YUM!
wink.png
Happy and delicious cooking!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom