hamburg crossed with dominique

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by centrarchid, Dec 10, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Anyone made the above cross? I am researching ways to keep crisp barring in the American dominique as feather growth rate is increased.

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    The barring on breeds like hambergs and campines isn't the same as the sexlinked dominant barring in dominiques. Its transverse/autosomal.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:I very much want to see how autosomal barring interacts with sex-linked barring. Hope is they will be additive in that contrast between light and dark regions of a feather will be maintained even though feathers will be growing faster than typical on a dominique. I am trying to increase feather quality (for flight mostly) to more closely approximate the the overall appearance of dominiques as shown in the standard of perfection.

My American game line has autosomal barring and appears to be taking me in desired direction and has also included a lot of color which I do not want.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  4. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Quote:There has already been crosses made. I have seen them and can tell you how they look, but I don't remember where I saw them.
    They looked pretty well like gold-penciled hamburgs with light S-L type barring trough their plumage. Basically they looked like the Penciled version of Crele. Barring seems to be repetitive and epistatic (except for white), simply lightly lining each feather. I have also seen Barred-Silver-Mille-Fleur patterned birds (an extinct variety of Bow Lake). Boy, were they pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by