Hand Feeding Live Mealworms - A Good Way To Socialize Your Hens

Quote:
Chickens have been eating bugs since time began, can't imagine it could hurt them in any way. I do think they need grit if you are going to feed them insects or anything besides chick starter.
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Yes, you need grit if you're feeding worms. I'm also feeding them cut up grass and grit is needed with that. I've read so much about the difference in starting early so that's the plan with these young'ens.

My chicks, 11wks yesterday, love meal worms. They recognize the container they come in now. I walk up to the coop with that container in my hand & I get mobbed. They also love the crickets they get occasionally. I guess you could say my 4 are really spoiled. Is there anywhere you can buy live mealworms in bulk online? I get them at the pet store now and it is a little expensive.
smile.png

I bought some superworms (supposed to be better nutritionally and need no refrigeration) today. I also gave my girls some grit mixed with oats. It was hilarious! One of the chicks would grab the worm and run around the brooder and the others would chase her. We have one Rock who is very adept at getting the worms and stealing them from her sisters! Lots of laughs!!

lau.gif

Mine do the same.

There might be a hand full of mealworms waiting but they all want the one in their mate's mouth...

Back
Top Bottom