Hand sanitizer in the coop

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I have seen hand sanitizer dispensers kept outside at the zoo so I'm assuming that it's ok to mount one on our coop or outside the run and it will still work ok? The container says to keep it at a certain temp but I can guarantee that most people use it while out and about, and not in a certain temperature. But I'm wondering about it being out all the time, especially in summer.

I think the temp thing is to keep the alcohol from evaporating from it faster. I keep it in my car and I've noticed after a while it thickens a bit and smells less of alcohol, but it takes a while. I doubt if your coop gets as hot as my car.

Thanks. I think I wasn't too clear-I want to mount the dispenser on the outside of the coop wall or on the outside of the run, which means it will be outside. I could put it on the north side of the coop or run which means the sun won't be as hot on it but it will still be in the sun.

Just wanted to update this. I found that the Sam's Club brand hand sanitizer which is in a giant pump container says it can be up to 105 degrees. It rarely gets that hot here (probably won't at all this summer
roll.png
) so I had dh wire it to the outside of the run on the north side. We can swing the top part inside to use it inside the run too, if we need to. Then I took an empty gallon size vinegar jug and cut it up the side and cut the top a bit (and the bottom to let rain out) and slipped it over the hand sanitizer jug so the sun isn't beating directly on it. I'm very happy with the whole setup.

Back
Top Bottom