Hand turn vs. Automatic turner in incubator

I think its too small of a sample size to look real far into the results. There are too many variables as you mentioned earlier. It is interesting and it would be nice if someone "scientifically" tested auto vs hand turning.

My vote is auto turners. I've incubated over 300 shipped quail eggs and over all the hatches I've averaged a 74% hatch rate on total eggs set and a 93% hatch rate on viable eggs at lockdown. This is with GQF 1266 cabinet incubator with automatic turners.

I see you considered upgrading to an ovation 28. I've never used brinsea incubators but I've great success with my 20 year old GQF cabinet incubator I bought off craigslist. I bought it for $250. Before you buy another tabletop incubator I hope would at least consider purchasing a cabinet incubator. I used to think paying $700 for a new one was ridiculous but after owning this one I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one. They work great and hold 250 chicken eggs....

Oh, and good luck with your hatch this weekend! :)

I have 98 pheasant eggs supposed to hatch this weekend....
View attachment 1417302

I like auto turners because I work all day and can't be trusted to remember to turn them. Plus you have be home every day. No long Saturday fun trips, etc.

I have an incuview which also does not allow you to stand the eggs up. I have had pretty good success with shipped eggs auto turning on their sides.

Back
Top Bottom