Handfeeding Formulas For Elderly Cat . . . .

GranderTheGander

Songster
Feb 3, 2021
I have an elderly cat whose days are numbered. He eats some on his own, but I have also been handfeeding . . . or trying to handfeed . . . him meals. He loves Nutri-Cal for Cats, so I can mix that into anything I put in a small blender. Anyone have any formulas that worked well for you? He has always hated canned cat food, but likes tuna. Making a formula out of dry food doesn't go over well with him, either. I have KMR, but he also doesn't like the taste of that.

We use to put some cooked brown rice, canned tuna, egg yolks and cook carrots all in a blender and feed it to an older stray when he started thinning down. He use to practically inhale it!

Does he have loss of appetite or just finicky/picky eater?

Has he been to the Vet (where you've discussed options like subcutaneous fluids, special diets).

I only ask this because being a senior cat, perhaps dehydration is the cause? A lot of cats develop a better appetite once hydrated.

At this point, I would feed anything you can get him to eat and it doesn't necessarily have to be "cat" food (chicken, baby food etc.)

I wish you luck!

Peaches Lee, he's towards the end of kidney failure, but I keep him hydrated and he drinks water on his own. He never would eat chicken and spit up the chicken baby food. Pretty cat in your avatar!

Thanks for the recipe HollowofWisps. I will try that. It sounds like a good one! I don't know why I didn't think about rice, since it's in their dry food. My only concern is about the egg yolks--did you mean cooked or raw? I would be hesitant to use raw, due to the fear of salmonella.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, that is a tough situation! Do you think he would eat cooked food? You can ask your Vet for a special kidney diet recipe--something you can make at home.

It sounds like you are doing all you can!

And thank you for your comment, he was my special boy!

Sadly, Fat Cat died yesterday morning at around 5. He was restless for the first time in weeks and wanted outside. He was a neutered stray who showed up years ago, and loved being outside. I would not let him, of course, because I feared he would go off and hide and die. He settled down, though, and then went to sleep for good.

Fat Cat was a beautiful black tabby, with gold "eyeliner" around his eyes. Not quite the glamour boy as yours, Peaches Lee, but black tabbies are really pretty. I've only seen two in my lifetime. There was also his "attitude"--he could be a real sneaky swiper! Had to always keep an eye on his swiping paw while brushing him, or doing anything else with him. 😉

Ebony Rose, I don't know why I didn't think of sardines. I used to feed them years ago, but the cats at the time stopped eating them and I never thought of buying them again. They are very nutritious and soft.

Thank you all for your suggestions. If anyone still wants to post more, please do, because I am going to remember what is suggested. My oldest cat now is less than 10, but it's still good to have handfeeding recipes for future reference.

Thank you. I love to think I'll meet up with all the animals I have loved and cared for after I die. I'm also happy he did die at home with me, as opposed to being euthanized in a vet hospital.

Back
Top Bottom