Handicap Chick Help

aneenee1707

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 18, 2012
About 3 weeks ago my neighbor brought one of her chicks over that had been attacked by one of her dogs - it was about 3 days old. Had 2 puncture wounds and a broken leg and missing toes. I have slowly nursed it back to health - it now only has two toes on one foot and the other foot is sort of functional and it can hop around as long as its not on a slick surface. Now today I discovered it has mites and lice. At this point I am not sure if it is healthy enough to treat for pests and I am not sure if it will ever be able to integrate in a flock or be normal. Has anyone had any experience with "handicap" chickens - do you think it would do alright someday or should I just cull it at this point and put it out of its misery?? Any advice would be appreciated! I am sort of new to chickens and love my flock of 13 but I luckily havnt had to deal with any issues at this point.

I would try to treat her for the mites and see how it does.
roll.png

Thanks - I found some organic stuff at the feed store and treated her - she is so much happier and has practically doubled in size in the last week

Thanks - I found some organic stuff at the feed store and treated her - she is so much happier and has practically doubled in size in the last week
That's wonderful! MissM aren't a big deal, easy to treat. If she's walking she can prob eventually integrate into a normal flock!

Back
Top Bottom